Friday, March 16, 2007

Bitchin Kugel?

Shlomo was one of the Rosh Yeshivas in one of the yeshivas I attended. He was young and fun, with a milf for a wife and two kids we used to toss around for fun on boring shabbos afternoon. Veev used to come to the yeshiva for shabbos when we were dating, and she would stay at his house.

Shlomo had a lot of strong points, and was one of the few rabbis I came across who I actually liked. The fact that we could sit and smoke all morning long on the leather couches in his office cemented his reputation as one of the good guys. We would drink together, and watch football, and work on different business ideas so that the yeshiva could turn into a self-supporting institiution and not rely on donors and fundraising.

Friday afternoon and Shabbos were the highlights of yeshiva life. Shlomo's potato kugel would appear in the yeshiva kitchen on Friday afternoon. We would go through it before Mincha, and then, after dinner on friday night, we would eat the kugel and dip into the chulent.

I wasn't as brave as Shlomo; I couldn't go for chulent on Shabbos morning before shul, but he did. And by the time Kiddush came after minyan, we were ready to dip into more kugel. Air Time readers who have been here since '97 might remember I included the recipe for the magical potato kugel; At the time I called it Shlomo's bitchin' potato kugel, which is what Veev and I called it after Shlomo gave us the recipe, shortly after we were married.

We lost touch with Shlomo and his family. We moved to Detroit; he left the yeshiva. Our paths crossed this summer, and a few weeks ago, we spent Shabbat at his house. In retrospect, I should not have been surprised to see the shaved-head business man, who spent much of the time we were together either drinking or sleeping it off. It was Purim weekend, so I will cut him some slack there.

Then I googled him, and found his bio at the company he started. Almost every significant item in his bio was untrue, from his degrees to his years of experience working as a fund manager.

It had been a long time since we had seen each other, and a long time since he claimed to be a rosh yeshiva. Still I am really disappointed in him. The fact that I counted him as one of the good guys in the rabbi game when he turned out to be just like the the rest of them was one thing. But the fact that we named our Potato Kugel in honor of him was too much.

So now we need to rename the Kugel. And I don't know what to call it.

We could call it Bitchin Kugel, but I think it loses something when we take away the name in front. When Al Taubman was convicted in Detroit, I was never comfortable that they kept his name on the Oak Park JCC campus, and even though Shlomo is not a convicted felon, I don't want to associate the Kugel with him.

So to all the people who claim to be reading these days, any suggestions for what to call a kick-ass potato kugel?

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just plain old kugel...

March 16, 2007 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Air -

The fact that his wife was a milf should have tipped you off. If she had not already done that for you.

Also, here is another reason why I don't think institutions (buildings or food) should be named after living people.

March 16, 2007 1:38 PM  
Anonymous EmahS said...

How about the "Lying SOB kugel" or the "Fake rosh kugel" or the "imitation rabbi kugel" ???

and ps. I tried to respond to your last post IN HEBREW, but it didn't take my comment. if this works, I'll try again.

Take care........

March 17, 2007 2:38 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I like Emah S's suggestion, but maybe I need to pass this question along to Ask Shifra. She is all knowing.

March 17, 2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Maybe it should be called the "Oh- how-the-mighty-have-fallen-Kugel"!

March 17, 2007 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad you're back and didnt give up....now i may be one of your dumber readers, but what is "milf"?? i feel so stupid...

March 18, 2007 12:14 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I don't think Veev wanted to hang it up. She was just making an observation that no one else seemed to be around.

Particularly me.

March 18, 2007 2:27 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

As for Milf, its an initialism for mom Id like to fuck, or in more polite company, A hot mom.

March 18, 2007 2:28 AM  
Blogger Still Wonderin' said...

Last I heard, Shlomo was living in Israel. Funny how much older than I his milf wife used to seem. I'm sure I'm ten years older than she was when I last saw her.

March 18, 2007 11:44 AM  
Blogger Still Wonderin' said...

"Our paths crossed this summer, and a few weeks ago, we spent Shabbat at his house."

i'm not sure why I decided to comment before getting to the sentence above and all that followed.

And I was sorry to read everything else you wrote about him. For what it's worth, he was one of the few rabbis in my life I had any regard for, and some of the things we discussed still stand as the few strong positive influences in my Judaism.

Never mind.

March 18, 2007 11:50 AM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

call it milf kugel.

March 19, 2007 7:11 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

Rock, the lady of the house does not make the Kugel.

March 19, 2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger Still Wonderin' said...

How about KILF?

March 19, 2007 8:53 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

SW -

I just want to eat the kugel...

March 19, 2007 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like KilF - very original!

March 19, 2007 2:26 PM  
Blogger TherapyDoc said...

You weren't old enough then, but you are now to know that the guy's only human. Yer mother would have said, "What kind of rabbi smokes and drinks like that?"

March 22, 2007 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Heidi said...

whatever you call it... can you post the recipe again?? I think I was too young to be allowed to read Air Time in 97

March 27, 2007 10:09 AM  
Anonymous heidi said...

...or too young to even care about a recipe :-/ one or the other.

March 27, 2007 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home