Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Breaking the Fast

It is Wednesday night in September. An hour earlier, Yom Kippur ended. Expiation of sin. A clean slate. Beginning of vacation.

Two taxies are on their way. Each car will hold seven of us, and soon we are at the beach in Tel Aviv. The sun rises and we daven in a minyan on the beach. We have three weeks of vacation, almost no plans, no responsibilities.

Even the Mercaz spy has faded into the background.

By Thursday evening we are exhausted. We have somehow made it to Netanya, and our original group of fourteen has shrunk to 3 or 4. We go to a dance club, my first time. I am wearing a tank top, shorts and a baseball cap, and I am completely underdressed.

I can’t dance at all. I have no rhythm, no sense of beat or music or movement. Yonason jokes that I look like I am boxing, the way I am jumping up and down. This is the night I begin my streak of never meeting anyone in a dance club, with the exception of the night we accidentally went to a gay club. With girls.

We are up all night again, for the second night in a row. There has been a considerable amount of alcohol consumed over the past two days, but no one is noticeably drunk.

Soon, we are down to just three of us. It is Friday morning. Shabbos will be in soon, and we have no plans, no food, not much money with us. We are, of course, starving. We find a bus back to Jerusalem, buy some rugelach, and sleep straight through to Motzei Shabbos.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those Rugies

May 17, 2005 1:16 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

I think I was with you at that Gay Club. It was for someone's birthday, mine I think.

Who was it again who rejected that dude with no shirt on and two pieces of tape in the shape of a big 'x' acoss his chest and got a drink poured on him as a result? I seem to recall the friend saying "go f--ck yourself" or something along those lines. :-)

May 17, 2005 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cant believe you slept through an entire shabbos, from beginning to end.

May 17, 2005 1:39 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

oh that was nothing. I remember one guy, having just came back from the same vacation mentioned here by AT, went to sleep early Friday afternoon and woke up late shabbos afternoon. He jumped out of bed and quickly headed for showers thinking he still had time to get readyt for shabbos. He thought it was still Friday :-)

May 17, 2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

JPT, you know I love you man, but PLEASE lose the :-).

It's so 1997.

May 17, 2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

I can't :P
S'been too long with IM. I'll work on it though. Just for you.

May 17, 2005 2:08 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

C'mon guys. Three posts on my blog yet none of you can find ANYTHING to say? Aren't we a clique? Where my traffic from you guys? Were my posts so crappy today that you have NOTHING at all to add?

May 17, 2005 4:13 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Just kidding, BTW.

May 17, 2005 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
voyeur g string Mature women webring http://www.pamela-anderson-pics-5.info/Voyeurfreepictures.html Accutane guild patent law legal Running and answering machine messages http://www.cappuccino-coffee-delonghi-maker.info/How_long_will_mushrooms_keep_in_the_refrigerator.html http://www.voyeur-4.info/thongs-up-skirts-voyeur.html russian top 100 voyeur Annuaire sites domaine .gp Nutritional supplements dissolution Wet shemales 2006 olympics ice dance Free scholarships grants college Voyeurs op het strand Lady voyeurs Gold wood eyeglasses

November 21, 2006 3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

February 06, 2007 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! 2 body kit sc tiburon hentai movies 1962 buick Mats garage floor Bupropion hydrochloride zyban cock upskirt upskirts toyota car stereo Banner california mattress Java computer programming language Business health insurance me small

February 15, 2007 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home