Thursday, December 13, 2007

Funny Story - Goes Back a Ways

When I cook and wash dishes, I always have tons of time to think by myself, and sometimes I remember random things from my past. A few months ago we watched our wedding video in honor of our anniversary. I saw something my mother did that cracked me up.

At every Chupah at which I have ever had the privilege of sitting next my mother, she has said the following to me at the line of the Ketuba-reading where it mentions that the Kallah is a "B'tultedah":

"What if she isn't? Does she tell the person who writes and reads the Ketubah?" It doesn't even matter who it is. The Kallah could have the most stellar reputation. She doesn't mean the person whose wedding it happens to be; rather, it's a general question. It's really a joke designed to make the listener laugh at the most boring part of a wedding.

Flash to my wedding. My mother didn't realize that the videographer was pointing the camera at my folks at the reading of "Aviva Deena B'tultedah." My mother leaned in to tell my father her joke, noticed the video camera on her and stopped dead in her tracks.

Any casual watcher of this video could think that my Eema knew something no one else did. I'm sure there were tongues wagging anyway at that particular stage of our lives for various reasons, but... no. I wore a white gown with a full heart.

3 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

I think, if she isn't a betulteda, they would still read it that way, so as not to embarress her, but the actual thing says something else.

December 13, 2007 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where did you sew the the heart on the dress?

December 13, 2007 4:45 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

That's stupid.

December 13, 2007 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home