Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Friend Named Sam

Sam is a nice guy, I suppose. He grew up in Passaic, moved to Detroit, and lives there now. His father was the page number turned at Young Israel of Passaic/Clifton, and had a unique method for changing the magnetic page numbers. As the Chazzan approached the end of the page, he would slide the upcoming number onto the magnetic board, and slowly slide the number upward. As the Chazzan got closer and closer to the bottom of the page, the new page number would creep upwards, until finally, when the Chazzan reached th end of the page, the new numbers would be in place.

He married, divorced, and remarried. I think he has a son from his first marriage, not sure about what has happened in his second marriage. To be honest, I don't remember his wife's name, though I think it is her second marriage as well. And if I was to tell you everything I know about Sam, all I can really add is that I think he is touch older than me, that his mother passed away within the past year, and that he has one sister.

But sometime earlier this week, Sam friended me on Facebook. And being that I have nothing against Sam, I accepted his friendship. There was a time when I was very particular about who I accepted, but my standards have gone way down. There are people who collect facebook friends like baseball cards, trying to amass as many as they can, studying their information and reading their status updates. I am not that kind of facebook user. I like the platform for the games, and friends provide me with opponents to challenge.

So Sam, who is not really a friend, who I have had a complete conversation with him in the 14 years I have known him, and I are Facebook friends. He can see when I play Scrabble, Word Twist, Scramble, and update my status. He has access to pictures, and public conversations I have with other people.

Which brings us to March 15, 2009. Un-Friend Someone Day. The brainchild of Joe Hocheiser, the Ides of March is the day to get rid of your friends you don't really want. He wants you to get rid of at least one friend who you don't want.

So the question is, do I whack Sam, or find someone else who is not adding anything to my life.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mordechai Cohen said...

I will be the sacrificial (sp?) lamb is needed.

March 12, 2009 11:15 PM  
Blogger sabarich said...

Whack him!

The Shver

March 14, 2009 8:48 PM  
Blogger hostess said...

I thought you were a non-conformist! Why do you have to whack anyone?? Keep him as a friend! He needs friends! But far be it for me to micromanage!!

March 17, 2009 2:34 PM  
Blogger hostess said...

I thought you were a non-conformist! Why do you have to whack anyone?? Keep him as a friend! He needs friends! But far be it for me to micromanage!!

March 17, 2009 2:34 PM  
Blogger The Zwicker said...

I hate to be the wet blanket here but you should consider that Jeff might actually visit this blog every so often. I was able to immediately identify who Jeff is. It wouldn't be so hard for him to do the same if he were to read your post. If he ever did, I can only imagine how hurtful he would find it.

March 23, 2009 8:09 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

FYI - Jeff did not get whacked, and I am not sure what in here is hurtful, mr zwicker

March 23, 2009 8:19 AM  
Blogger sabarich said...

Clever! But I know who you really mean!

The Shver

March 24, 2009 9:56 AM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 24, 2009 5:04 PM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

did you pick the name Sam because of a certain horse?

March 24, 2009 5:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't whack him. He needs good friends.I am sure you can manage. This is Ben67 from Israeli Uncensored News

April 19, 2009 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home