Thursday, May 26, 2005

Batlun Row

There are a number of seats lined up against the southern wall in the Yeshiva Gedolah beis medrash. At night seder, and during chavrusa time in the mornign, our class sits along this row. There are probably between eight and twelve of us, paired up in Chavrusas along the row. Most of the conversation along the row is not focused on the Gemara. It is a section we call Batlun Row.

It is along Batlun row where I learn to put a lighter in my hand, let the gas out, flick the lighter, and have a fire burning in my hand. There is no topic that is too taboo for discussion along the row. Rabbis, kollel members, older beis medrash guys, girls, sports and music are all fair topics for the row.

One day, while sitting in Batlin row, we find a bag of candy left over from an Auf Ruf. My chavrusa dares me to throw the bag and hit the bima during night seder. We are both amused as the rabbi leaning on the bima is stunned and looks around when the bag thumps loudly into the bima.

The rabbis try to break up our row, but after a few days, we always end up sitting back in the same place.

7 Comments:

Blogger and so it shall be... said...

we had mishmor every monday and thursday. It was one big party. In my hs we had the learning row. I can't think of anyone who actually learned.

May 26, 2005 4:52 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I just googled the guy who dared me to throw the bag. I knew he was in israel learning and had written a sefer, but I didn't expect this to come up.

The lecture for Sunday March 16, 6:15 PM Israel time (11:15am EST) will be given by Hagaon Rav Yaakov Montrose. Begin playback.

Don't know if it is the same guy though.

May 26, 2005 4:59 PM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

the biggest animal in my class, he was completely out of control (never did drugs though, not once) is a shtarker guy, leanring in Israel practically since we graduated. He came back a few years for college and to get married and that's it.

Moral of the story: be an insane lunatic if you so desire. The world is full of second acts.

May 26, 2005 5:22 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Harav HaGaon cannot shoot pool to save his life. I should know. He once bet me a drink at the Blue Hole. Great White Russian... Thanks, YM

May 26, 2005 6:15 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Nachman, what do you think about Harav Hagoan?

May 26, 2005 6:41 PM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

I remember he did get smicha from bais, but that's even more laughable then YU smicha.

It would be funny hearing him be called the gaon mon tross.

May 27, 2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

I was wondering if that was the Montrose from Bais. heh heh. HaRav Hagaon AirTime. Naaah.

May 27, 2005 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home