Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Crying

Saturday night. We do not know it yet, but this will be the last Saturday night Nachman will be in our Yeshiva. All we know right now is that it is Saturday night, and we are going to the movies.

I can't explain why we picked that movie. Maybe we had seen everything else that was out there. Maybe we were intrigued by the rumors we heard of the surprise ending. I can tell you with utmost certainty that none of us knew the secret of the Crying Game.

We had no idea what we were in for when we went to theater, plunked down our eight bucks, grabbed some cokes and started to watch. We did not know we were going to be introduced to transexuals who could pass as women and really be men.

When it happened, when the trans character came out, literally, from the veil of femininity, there was an audible ughhhh coming from our section of the theater.

Everyone who was there that night agreed that there was a palpable feeling of nausea that ran through us at that defining moment.

And so it should come as no surprise that as we drove home from the theater, we needed something to clear the pallette. And when we drove next to some hot girls, flirted some, and got flirted back to, we followed.

Unfortunately, they went to the diner that was located right next to the Yeshiva.

What happened next is a bit of a blur to me. I think we parked in the Yeshiva lot. Nachman chose to go to the diner and hang out with the girls. Lip and I did not go. I have always believed that Dave went with Nachman, but that is where the story gets really murky.

Did Dave go in the diner? Or did he just look in, and then report to the Rosh what he saw? And how was it that the next day Lippy's and my head were on the school chopping block.

How was it that all of us who went to the movie that night ended up being nearly expelled, with the exception of two people. Nachman, who was expelled. And Dave, who was given a free pass?

EDITORS NOTE: Lippy has categorically denied being involved in this story. He claims he was not in Chicago the night of the incident. He also signs his posts anonymous and clearly lied in his second point in the comments section.

14 Comments:

Blogger orthomom said...

Funny guy. I guess I got the guilt thing down pat, huh?

May 17, 2005 4:57 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

we may not get nuance or banter through this thing, but we can pick up jewish mother guilt through any medium

May 17, 2005 4:59 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

LOL

May 17, 2005 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good story....but not entirely accurate.

May 17, 2005 5:09 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Can't promise accuracy, but that's the way i remember it. Care to correct details?

May 17, 2005 5:46 PM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Was Dave your friend? Why did he snitch?

May 17, 2005 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ details that need to be corrected. Remember printing false infor is libel.

Point #1:
As one of the named parties, I can say that not only did I never see The Crying Game, but I was not even in the Yeshiva that weekend.

I do recall the big carnival like atmosphere upon my my return. In fact the first I even heard about it was when I was pulled out of the BM, as was every guy in Yeshiva, and asked a series of questions about that incident.

Point #2:

As I recall I thought that you really liked the end of The Crying Game.

I think I remember who the fourth person involved was.

May 17, 2005 5:53 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Dave was our friend. He was also very loyal to Skokie. More than anyone else, he had an interest in the school's reputation. He was also close with administration members.

Maybe he thought turning on one of his friends accomplished the greater good. Maybe his thoughts were more mercenary. I can't speak for him.

As I'm sure you would expect, things changed between Dave and the rest of us. He was no longer in our group of friends, and spent most of his free time with the other half of guys in the Beis Medrash program.

May 17, 2005 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i bet today dave is a real frum guy, learning and davening up a storm.
so ultimately, yeshiva worked for him.

May 17, 2005 10:04 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

What is Dave doing today? I have no idea. I haven't seen or thought of him in years.

May 18, 2005 9:02 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

He's probably one of the 1,100 people who read your blog.

May 18, 2005 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hes an attorney in Chicago

May 18, 2005 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great story about Nachman and Dave,but you are a little misinformed about the details. As Mitch Albom will tell you, it is very crucial to get accurate details before reporting an incident.

May 18, 2005 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to employ a fact checker

May 18, 2005 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home