Thursday, June 23, 2005

Happy Birthday

My almost nine year old is nine today, so I guess he is no longer almost nine. All kids are special, but your first child is the most special in some ways. He is the child that turned my wife and me into parents.

Aside from that, he is a special kid. Not damaged special, extraordinary special. He is popular and smart, a combination that does not always go together. The boys and girls in his class turn to him for help, and pick him quickly in when they choose teams at gym and recess.

He plays hockey, baseball and, for the past few weeks, he has started shooting hoops. He has a weekly nighttime chavrusa with his grandfather, and they have finished three Masechtas of Mishnayos.

He memorizes the backs of baseball cards and is a voracious reader. Oh, and he was one of his class’ leaders in Midot Tovot awards this past year. And he loves fart jokes and burping on demand.

He loves leading the shul in Anuim Z’Merot, and his clear voice can be heard throughout the shul. Did I mention he plays the piano, and figures out music just by listening to it.

This morning he was glowing when we woke him up with Happy Birthday and gave him a Chauncy Billups jersey. A jersey I am sure he will be wearing through the day and late into tonight as we watch game 7.

But most importantly, he is a good kid. One we are really proud of.

8 Comments:

Blogger torontopearl said...

"good kid" means everything. mazel tov to the boychik...and his parents. (my oldest child, a boy, turned 10 on June 14)

June 23, 2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Happy Birthday. I have one about the same age.

June 23, 2005 1:14 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I hope your boys are as easy as mine

June 23, 2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

just don't let him see this post.

What is he getting?

June 23, 2005 1:35 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

he got a chauncy billups jersey, and is taking four friends to a tigers game sometime in the next few weeks.

plus lunch with his parents.

June 23, 2005 1:41 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

I'm crying. Well said, Dear.

June 23, 2005 1:56 PM  
Blogger 2R said...

wow...I wonder if my parents like me that much....

June 23, 2005 5:58 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

They do, Sar. And you're looking pretty good to them right now.

June 23, 2005 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home