Tuesday, June 28, 2005

One long-running fight

For the past ten years, my wife and I have had three fights. One of them she has asked me not to write about, one of them you would have to be there to decide who was right and who was wrong, but the third one is worth discussing.

It is Thanksgiving, 1994. The Lions have already beaten the Bills, and Aviva and I decide to go to Naoh's Ark for Thanksgiving dinner.

When we get to the restaurant, the Packers - Cowboys game is on, a game that has playoff implications in the NFC Central (This is before the realignment). I need to hear the score before we go inside.

Aviva, I should point out, is the driver. It is her car, in her city, in her state.

I tell her to wait a second before turning the car off, so i can ehar the score of the game. She gets out of the car, leaves the keys in the ignition, and hits the autolock button on the door.

A minute later, I hear the score, get out of the car, and close the door.

The keys are still in the ignition.

She was the driver. She left the keys in the ignition. She hit the door lock button.

It is an open and shut case. She is to blame.

But to hear her tell it, she blames me. Because I wanted to listen the radio, she puts the blame for locking the keys in the car on me.

Despite the fact that I never touched the keys. Didn't put them in the ignition. Didn't turn on or off the car. Didn't lock the door.

We still argue about whose fault it was, and I am confident that those of you thoughtful, intelligent people who read this can assess blame where it belongs; squarely on her shoulders.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry, AT. Am I missing something? You were the last one in the car. You knew your wife had left. She cearly left the car keys in the ignition to enable YOU to listen to the game. The car is therefore your responsibility.

June 28, 2005 10:38 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Krum, you are missing something. As the driver, they keys are her responsibility. Besides, why was she always locking the car door.

Also, at the time, she was simply the girlfriend, not the wife.

June 28, 2005 10:52 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

you were in the homowack or Israel. AAA came and rescued us.

June 28, 2005 11:34 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I doubt if they were in england. Your older sister didnt live there yet.

June 28, 2005 11:57 AM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

i always say the key to a happy marriage is a whipped man,and mrs.amshinover will chim in "no,thats not true" to which i respond(AirTime say it with me) "I AM SORRY HONEY YOU ARE RIGHT,CAN I GET YOU SOMETHING"

June 28, 2005 1:30 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

While my wife will be pleased with all the people who are siding with her, I feel let down.

She was the driver. She controlled the radio. She controled the steering wheel. It was her car and her keys.

Therefore, it is her fault.

June 28, 2005 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with AT here. She was the driver, he was obviously engrossed in the game, not paying attention to what was going on with the door locks, and thus she needed to keep control of her keys. At minimum, she needed to not lock the doors, or at least make a point of telling him: I am locking the door and leaving the keys, make sure to take them when you're done...and then making sure he really acknowledged it.

This is why newer cars won't let you lock the driver's door while it is open btw. This scenario would be impossible on many new cars over the last 5-10 years.

I've been in this scenario before, with a girlfriend blaming me because she put the keys on the seat of the car while we were removing things...somehow it was my fault when I closed the door with the keys inside.

June 28, 2005 1:44 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Fianlly, someone who speaks the truth.

June 28, 2005 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its really pretty simple.

In reality you are always right, but just say that she is right so she'll make you dinner and clean the house.

Key to 7 happy years for us.

June 29, 2005 12:43 PM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

said like a truly anonymous person

June 30, 2005 7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know if it happened to me it would be the wifes fault so I have to go with AT.

July 04, 2005 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Video conferencing apple venlafaxine depression Design development haven site web winter.html http://www.compare-vacuum-cleaner.info/Mp3-players.html Bridgeport drive recovery Raven riley free hardcore picks Knotwork wedding ring achat venlafaxine venlafaxine veins Usb-serial controller drivers of mobile phone Hypothyroidism zoloft and

February 15, 2007 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home