Thursday, September 14, 2006

Now They've Finished Prodding at My Brain

I got a call on Sunday afternoon from the head of the marketing department at a large Israeli company. Somehow my resume had found its way to her desk, and she had an opening. She asked me to come in for an interview. Monday afternoon I drove out to the office complex, and had my interview.

The interview went well, and when she finished, she called another person in the department, and asked her to interview me as well.

We had the second interview right away, and before I left, they gave me some marketing materials that they wanted me to write, as a test. This is fairly common in my profession, and on Tuesday afternoon, I emailed the test to the woman I met.

On Wednesday morning, I got a call from the HR department. As part of the hiring process, they wanted me to take a psychometrics test and be interviewed by some kind of industrial mental health professional.

They wanted me to come in as early as possible, and so I went this morning for a five hour session. There were a number of tests I had to take, and then, there was the questionnaire, which was followed by an interview with the mental health professional.

I have had a number of interviews over the past few weeks, and am used to being asked personal questions like age, family size, and other questions that are illegal to ask during the hiring process in the United States.

However, the questions on the survey, in addition to requiring lengthy answers, went further than any interviewer has gone delving into my personal life.

And since I wrote them down on a piece of scrap paper, I can share them with you.

1) Please provide a short life history
2) What have been the most significant events in your life, and why are those events important?
3) Please provide your academic, military and professional history
4) Of the jobs listed, which was your favorite. Describe the job expressing your feelings towards the job, toward fellow employees, toward management, and why you enjoyed this job
5) Of the jobs listed, which was your least favorite. Describe the job expressing your feelings towards the job, toward fellow employees, toward management, and why you enjoyed this job.
6) What type of work is most appropriate for you?
7) What are your plans for the future? Please include personal, family and professional plans.
8) Why did you apply for this job?
9) Please describe any difficulties you may face in this job.
10) Describe an event (Real or hypothetical) that caused you discomfort or difficulty. Relate to your reaction, your actions, and how you would react in the future in a similar situation.
11) How do you spend your leisure time?
12) Please provide a detailed health history of yourself and your family.
13) Please describe your parents, siblings, children and spouse. Include occupations, ages, appearance, traits, personal characteristics, and relationship among family members.
14) Talk about your social life. Describe your friends' characteristics.
15) Please provide a personal description of yourself.

So I answered the questions, met with the head doctor, and if they say I am mentally fit, I may be able to start working next week.

7 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

how did you describe me?

September 14, 2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

25, advertising sales exec who loves sports and has a bit of a problem with illegal substances and fidelity.

September 14, 2006 4:53 PM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

i hope you lied. Israelis are really dumb. Whenever I travel El Al, they ask me all these questions like "did you pack the bags yourself," and "did anyone ask you to take any packages."

I lie my ass off and they never can tell. Chumps!

Good luck in your new job.

September 14, 2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

is this job in english?
-OC

September 15, 2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having read your response to "just shu" and your description of him, I'm quite relieved that they didn't ask about "in-laws."

September 15, 2006 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had to take a sample SAT in an interview!

September 15, 2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

even if you don't get the job, they know more about you than anyone. They could be opening a file on you.

September 17, 2006 5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home