Thursday, May 03, 2007

It's 3 AM, It's 3 AM...

I love living in Israel:

All the little hoodlums all over the country have been scavenging for wood for the Lag BaOmer bonfires since the day after Pesach.

Air hasn't had to shave during Sefira this year because we live in a Jewish country.

The fruits and vegetables are to die for.

Our kids are thriving with independence and new friendships.

The cute soldier with the sub-machine gun at the Machsom winked at me today.

I learned the word for slide at the park yesterday. Maglei'cha.

The birds are exotic and stunning.

The Israel Baseball League has no games scheduled for Shabbos.

I have never seen or smelled more beautiful flowers than I have here.

Yom Kippur is a national holiday.

I walk in the footsteps of the Maccabim every day.

Oftentimes, I walk in the footsteps of the Avot and Imahot.

Et cetera, et cetera.

But none of this makes me feel any better when I can't sleep. One of my best friends had a baby this week. I'm truly delighted for her. But I have never missed a Simcha of hers before. And now that makes three beautiful baby boys I have not gotten my hands on yet. I can't help but feel like I'm missing something by being here.

I'm homesick.