Monday, June 16, 2008

Graduation

I remember hoping, back in 2001 as my oldest was getting ready for first grade, that he would have good teacher. That he would have a teacher who challenged him, pushed him, and taught him. Long before this blog, on Air Time the Newsletter, I remember writing a poem about hopes that I had for my oldest. I don't think these thoughts are unique; I would be surprised if every parent didn't have the same hopes and fears when sending their oldest to first grade.

Over the course of his elementary education I have not been a hands-on parent. I have tried to get out of going to almost every teachers conference, and tried to avoid the ridiculous programs that they try to get parents to come to. Sometimes I have been able to get out of it, other times I suffered through the productions, hoping to sit next to someone who I could talk to, always pissing Veev off with my indifference to the event and my desire to be home.

But tonight is different. I think that graduating sixth grade is an accomplishment, much more so than my daughter's graduation from Gan later this week. Hi graduates at the top of his class, a position he held before Aliyah, and one that is a much greater accomplishment than beforehand, as he is performing in a stellar manner in his second language.

I'm sure, as the proceedings drag on, I will pray for deliverance from the room in which I am emprisoned. And yet, I look forward to being there, watching him graduate, and seeing him finish his elementary education.

3 Comments:

Blogger sabarich said...

Mazal Tov! May he accomplish geat things!

The Shver

June 16, 2008 7:57 AM  
Blogger SuperRaizy said...

Congratulations! Top of the class! That is really something to be proud of.
I feel exactly the same way you do about parent-teacher conferences, science fairs, 3rd grade Torah expos, etc. The only ones I like are the plays when the children are very small (it's a kick to see your kid up on stage), and of course, graduations, which always make me cry.
Enjoy your son's graduation. And don't be afraid to cry!

June 16, 2008 7:57 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

He only cries while watching sports movies.

June 16, 2008 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home