Monday, July 28, 2008

Pardon Me, Madam, Your Neurosis is Showing

With Air out of town, I am feeling very strong and able to handle any problem. Whenever faced with a challenge, I have always been able to overcome it, or to at least try my best. The kitchen has never been cleaner, the laundry is taken care of, the children are relaxing. I am a spoiled, spoiled lady, and I'll be the first to admit it. Air has been taking care of a lot of the housework since we've been married. In fact, my first thought when he left was, "Jeez, now I have to do the dishes and laundry."

Except that I can't (or maybe won't) sleep at night.

It's not like I'm afraid of intruders; with bars on every window and a super-duper front door double lock, it's Fort Knox in here.

It goes back a ways, too. When I was a little kid, I suffered from acute insomnia - I slept about 6 hours a night - from 10-2 and from 5-7. Those three hours in the middle were just exruciating. I hated being the only one awake in the house because I thought it was my responsibilty to "take care of things." I would sometimes wake up my older sister/roommate and ask her to stay up with me. She was very sweet and tried, but couldn't make it after about 30 seconds.

I'm pretty much over the insomnia now, except in certain nerve-wracking times like when I watch the news or when Air is out of town.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

I am the same exact way! When Eli was out of town I ran the house very efficiently, even though he usually does do a large part of the household chores. However, I absolutely could not sleep a wink. I think it had to do with knowing I was the only grown-up in the house. I was in like a constant state of alertness. If a kid rolled over in bed I would like jump up and check to make sure everything was okay. It was nuts.

July 28, 2008 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home