Friday, May 13, 2005

The Big Show

There’s no help from Mexico, Pepsi trickery, and busted by my eight year old, plus, falling off the diet wagon, Maalot possibilities, and a Moshav Band concert review, all that and more, you’re reading Air Time.

We had a great cleaning lady. Her name was Nadia. She followed Tinera, who was OK when she remembered to show up and especially OK before we started getting calls trying to locate her so she can be served a subpoena. When Nadia got an office job, she recommended a friend who came once, then had her arm broken by an uncle, and next thing we knew she had moved to North Carolina. There have been dozens of others, none of whom had lasted more than a few months, but no one to help clean the house on over three months.

Bring on Rosa, our first Spanish-speaking help. Born in a small Mexican village, she somehow made it to my cousin’s house, who did not need her full time and has been trying to pimp her out so she isn’t stuck paying the check for the whole week.

Rosa came yesterday morning. She was supposed to come for four hours, a time frame we have found to be pretty adequate for our three bedroom colonial. Rose spent three hours upstairs, trying to clean the three bedrooms and two bathrooms. And it’s not like she did a great job. She never even got to the bathroom floors, which are desperate seeking attention.

I have no idea what she did upstairs for three hours. All she needed to do was pick my kids books up off the floor, dust some dressers, and vacuum the floor. Plus clean the bathrooms. If I was doing it, it would have taken an hour and a half, tops.

Then she came downstairs, and she had an hour left before she was going to be picked up. She ignored the downstairs bathroom, did not wash or sweep a single floor, and left cleaning supplies open and on counters and tables wherever she went.

We called my cousin to tell her that we were not in need of a cleaning woman who didn’t know how to clean. My cousin told my wife that this woman is from Mexico, and she just doesn’t know how to clean, and we could have her free of charge for an hour this morning. Which is just what we want while Mrs. Air Time is cooking. A clueless Mexican walking around our house talking Spanish and trying to clean.

Rosa, you’re fired.

Rosa wasn’t the only failure of the week. After dropping 15 pounds over the past month and a half, I dropped off the diet wagon, enjoying pizza, hot dogs, potato chips and beer. Because of some forces of nature that I cannot understand, I am also driving carpool in the morning, which means no morning bike ride to work, and the treadmill has not been kind this week either. I think I will be in for a not so surprising disappointing weigh in on Sunday morning.

We have started looking at alternatives to Modiin for our move next summer. We are now looking at Maalot, a beautiful town in the Northern Galilee, about twenty minutes from Nahariya. It is absolutely beautiful up there, and my brother’s family lives there. It is about a three hour drive from Jerusalem, but maybe family for location is a good tradeoff.

I got angry at Pepsi this week. I don’t always buy pop, but when I do, I have been buying itunes Pepsi bottles, so I can get the free songs. You can read the cap if you tilt the bottle to the side, so I have had no problem picking winners out.

The problem was this week, when I picked up a bottle. The bottle was a winner, and I did not look hat closely at the bottle. It was only after I read the cap, and it had a code and said “one point” that I realized I had picked up a Go Pro Pepsi bottle instead of an itunes bottle.

Shame on you, Pepsi, for running contests that overlap and using the same identifying yellow cap.

Pepsi was the only winner this week. Our hockey team lost a close one, 5-4. And while there were a good many four-letter adjectives on the tip of my tongue, begging to be released into the wild, I held back because I brought my 8-year old to the game. I also brought my digital camera, so I could make hockey cards of the guys on our team.

About halfway home, my son asked if he could see the camera. Oh shit, was the only thing I could say, as I did not have the camera. (I remembered a few minutes later that it was in a teammate’s gym bag).

When we got home, did my boy talk about my assist, or my strong defensive play? No!. The first thing he said was “Daddy said the “S” word.

Little brat.

What about all the words I didn’t say. Why don’t you tell mommy about that.

Last night we saw the Moshav Band perform at Akiva. The concert was really good. At one point during the concert there must have been sixty kids up there on stage dancing, walking between the band members, jumping up and down. It was a wild scene, and the band had a really good time.

They put on a decent show, although I am not really familiar with their music. This was the first time I had heard them. If you have a chance to see them, and you have nothing better to do, I recommend seeing them.

After the concert I was talking to angry anonymous’ wife, who turns out to be a big fan of Air Time. She is very smart. Which means that if you are reading this, and enjoying it, there is a good chance you are very smart as well.
That’s the big show. This is Air Time. Thanks for reading.

Shabbat Shalom.

1 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

You should try ande convice Joyce to come out of retirement..She's the best

May 13, 2005 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home