Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Lessons Learned

Yesterday we decided to take the kids to the lake for some boating. We called some friends, made some plans, and found ourselves at the boat rental area by about 3 PM.

My oldest begged us to let him go alone in a Kayak. My middlest begged us to take a paddle boat. My littlest was wearing her life jacket and not screaming. We took that as a good sign.

So we sent out my oldest in a kayak, and got a canoe instead of a paddle boat. Paddle boats suck. You have to work really hard and don't go anywhere.

We got to the dock, sent my oldest out in the kayak, and he, along with our friend's daughter each went out to the lake in their kayaks.

Then we went to the Canoe. My middlest did not want to go in the canoe, and my littlest was having her own doubts.

I told them it was no big deal, and canoes were fun. I went into the canoe, to show them how easy it was. And while I was moving around in the canoe, trying to convince them to come in because it was safe, the boat almost flipped over, and I was tossed in the water.

My son screamed. My daughter screamed. My wife almost fell on the floor laughing her ass off.

I tried to pull myself onto the dock, but kept falling in, so a 120 pound woman who worked there tried to pull me out. I felt really bad as I almost pulled her in, but she managed to stay out of the water. I tried to lift myself out again, the whole time thinking horror thoughts about the leaches in Stand By Me.

Finally, I took off my life jacket and was able to pull myself out.

And of course we ended up in a paddle boat.

7 Comments:

Blogger torontopearl said...

We need clarification. Did the children scream in panic...or in hysteria, as your wife seemed to?

Sorry about your mishap; must have "dampened" your day somewhat, but glad you're hanging out your dirty -- and WET -- laundry with us. ;)

May 31, 2005 12:51 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Children were panicked. Wife was hysterical.

The worst part was my daughter would not sit in the back of the paddle boat, and needed to be on my lap, making the peddling even tougher.

May 31, 2005 12:59 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

that story was hilarious. The mental image just makes it even better.

May 31, 2005 1:33 PM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

Great story! That's why boating doesn't happen to often with kids

May 31, 2005 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey JPT -- you should have been there. The actul image was quite formidable.

May 31, 2005 4:41 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

There you are, Anon, I was wondering when you were going to chime in. It was quite ROTFL your tuchas off kind of funny. Thank God it was a warm day...

May 31, 2005 5:08 PM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

Wow, I wish we could have seen that!! Let's go boating again sometime this summer - when we return from the Land of Pittsburgh.

May 31, 2005 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home