Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Life's Mission Redefined

Last night was a meeting of the MNFBBQ, the organization that I helped to found in an effort to ensure that at a minimum of one time a month, I watch football and eat BBQ with my buddies.

After our initial season, we realized we could not stop the momentum gained by our organization, and we made a commitment to continue meeting throughout the offseason. Instead of football we watch movies. Instead of BBQ, we BBQ. Can replace that.

Over the five years of the club, we have added a member, kicked that member out for a lack of commitment to the organization, started a charity project that has raised about $3000 in each of the year's we have run it, all while upholding our MNFBBQ mission. To eat, watch football, and be men.

Over the past few weeks, the members heard rumors that I was going to be leaving the club, to move to Israel. Like any brotherhood, there were feelings of abandonment and anger, but nothing a group such as ourselves can't pretend doesn't exist (that is one of the main reasons we have no women in our club).

Last night, while eating a hamburger, it came to me. I need to champion the MNFBBQ, taking it into virgin territory, and starting our first franchise in Israel.

Beginning with the 2006 season, MNF will be moving to ESPN, a chanel I can get in Israel. Now all I need are a few members, some burgers, some hot dogs, maybe even an aish tanur, and we will be BBQing in the holy land.

Kickoff is 3:40 AM, Israel Time.