Friday, April 29, 2005

It can only be family

My wife loves her Bubby very deeply. Her Bubby thinks my wife loves her because when she sees Bubby, Bubby gives her money.

My wife has spent a lot of energy trying to convince her bubby that it isn't true, and has turned down money to prove her point.

In fact, of all her grandchildren, my wife is the only one who calls on a regular basis to check up on her (she lives alone in manhattan).

So this past week, it came to a bit of a boiling point. Bubby gave all her grandchildren money except my wife. My wife, not knowing that this had happened, did not do anything out of the ordinary.

Bubby, knowing it had happened, kept an eye on my wife to see if she was being treated differently.

Bubby slept in the same room that my kids clothes were. There was another woman sleeping in the room as well. When my wife went in on the first day of Yom Tov, to get clothes for the kids, she saw the other old lady was up and quietly said good morning, so as to not wake up her bubby.

My wife dressed the boys, and passed by the door where her bubby had been sleeping. Bubby was now fully awake, yelling at eem (my wife’s mom) that my wife didn’t say good morning to her because she didn’t give her any money.

She was in quite the pissy mood all morning, and then went into the back room, where she hid out through lunch and refused to come out from until long after lunch. People tried to get her to come out, but she refused, not wanting to spend another minute in the same room as my wife.

(She eventually did emerge. Nature has a way of calling people out of their hideouts.)

So, to recap, my mother in law was upset, due to her extreme co-dependence on Bubby, and not being able to tolerate it when her mother is acting ridiculous. My wife was upset because bubby was being ridiculous. Bubby was upset because her sanity ran out before her body did.

Not to be outdone, the next day, Gramma, my wife’s other grandmother, decided to pick a fight with grandpa, because while gram was trashing my mother in law, grampa was defending her. And since you can’t reason with Gram, she had a little fit of her own.

(In Gram’s defense, instead of hiding in the back room she went into the kitchen and started cooking up a storm.)

She decided that this was the issue that she was going to leave her husband over, but somehow, after not getting the reaction that she wanted, she came back down to earth.
Anyway, I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My wife was talking Ab (her father) this morning, and asked if Bubby was coming for the last days. Ab said, as a joke, yeah, she is coming as long as you’re not going to be there. My wife thought that was funny and laughed it off.

A few minutes later, Eem walked into the house, got on the phone with my wife, and was having a lovely conversation until someone mentioned Bubby. My father in law heard it, made the same comment about Bubby coming because my wife wasn’t going to there, causing my mother in law to drop the phone and burst into tears.

Anyway, lets do that math.

Bubby is insane.
Gram is insane (although you can’t tell from this story, I can certify that it is true)
Eem is borderline insane (depends on the day)
My wife is still sane. Most days.

Which brings up the real question.

How is this going to effect me?

8 Comments:

Blogger torontopearl said...

Just live vicariously through them all!

The Jews survived their journey through the desert; you, too, shall survive your journey through "THE FAMILY LANDSCAPE."

May 01, 2005 11:39 PM  
Blogger 2R said...

I think this is excellent material to start speaking to your shrink about.

May 02, 2005 1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and you are moving to a region inhabited by the insane.

May 02, 2005 5:08 PM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

I love how you tell a story!

May 03, 2005 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

July 03, 2005 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
»

August 14, 2006 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Male herbal penis enhancement eibach springs for mercedes Dodge rampage vehicles mercedes benz dealer san diego mercedes dealers dentists sioux city Devil keno free play Sanitizing stuffed animals in the dryer jaguar body kit http://www.plastic-surgery-0.info/Glauser-mercedes-benz.html mercedes service Subaru robins 8hp engine Fiat punto i dane techniczne confederate rose bush circuit breaker program illinois Secluded surf fishing beach house outer banks

March 04, 2007 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! designer handbags diazepam Gps pda evaluate debt help popup blocker http://www.hardcoredvd6.info

April 23, 2007 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home