Monday, May 02, 2005

More on the Rabbi

I voted for our Rabbi four years ago, and so I know I am partially responsible for his being here. Not as responsible as the search committee, but we had another candidate who was just as good, and from what I hear, doing very well in his position.

Our rabbi is young, from YU, and on the YU rabbi career track. Which means he woke up one morning and said I have a choice. I can be a computer programmer (his major at the time in YU) or I can try to be a rabbi.

And since he didn't feel the passion for computer programming, he chose the rabbinate.

Which I guess is a better reason to be a rabbi than I have no career interests, so i'll learn in kollel until I go into chinuch or can learn how to speak without mumbling and become a shul rabbi.

But it seems that this YU Brand of rabbi is a polished speaker, a "frum" guy, and capable of doing rabbinic things.

It also means he is lacking significant torah knowledge, is not "rabbi frum", and treats his position the same way I treat my job.

You expect rabbis to behave at a certain level of frumkeit beyond what the shul is at. I don't mind that he has a TV. Our past rabbi, who we really liked, had cable and would have guys over to watch football on Sunday afternoons. But I just don't get the sense from him that he is rabbi frum. I just get the sense that he is just punching the clock.

5 Comments:

Blogger stillruleall said...

Thats bad stereotyping. Because he's a YU Rabbi, he's not Rabbi frum? Maybe he's just not Rabbi frum, and he happened to also go to YU.

May 02, 2005 10:38 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Maybe if you saw the rabbis YU produces you would know what you are talking about.

May 02, 2005 11:31 AM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

It's always bothered me that he acts more like a HS principal than the Rabbi of a shul. But what can you do. I like the poeple I sit with in shul, and the rabbi is just something that comes with teh package

May 02, 2005 4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cannot BELIEVE you voted to renew the arrogant sobs contract.
is this just because your kids are friends with his, and you need a carpool? thats insane.

and he will never learn. he will always be a jerk, with his stupid HS stares, and demanding certain behaviors, when he shows up late, talks during davening, and then yells at the schul to do stuff he isnt so great about.
who does he think he is?
i also love how he treats the schul like a job. if he has vacation and a member is in a bereaved state, he doesnt bother staying around with the family.
neither he nor the schul will be sorry when he leaves. its a shame he will have to be here for the remainder of his contract.
if he takes on the KC he will lose, though it will be interesting.
i also wonder, what with all the israel rhetoric he always espouses, if his next job will be in israel, perhaps right next door to his virtual airness?
i also wonder if

May 02, 2005 5:16 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Are you crazy. I did not vote for the renewal. That was right after he left the meat in Detroit and alomost killed the labor day wedding BBQ.

I voted for him one time, and thatw as when we chose the rabbi. Since then, my hands are clean.

May 02, 2005 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home