Tuesday, June 28, 2005

On A Break

Maybe you’ve noticed and let it slide; maybe you’ve been ignoring it. Or maybe you are so deep into this blog that you are in denial about it.

The bottom line is Air Time is on the decline. The stories don’t have any zip to them, and they aren’t fun to read. Or write. Which is really the problem here.

Some people blog for therapy. Other’s have a political agenda or a voice that they want to get out. Me, I just like to write, and I haven’t been happy with the quality of my posts lately.

So I am taking a break from this blog. It may only last a week; it may be goodbye. My guess is Air Time will return in some format in the not too distant future. I am keeping this blog up, and if and when I return, you’ll see Air Time pop up on jrants.

If you’ve been following Air Time since the first Air Time was sent out in 1997, this should be a familiar pattern by now.

Create Air Time. Get lots of readers. Get them totally hooked on Air Time. Call it quits. If I had a therapist I am sure she would have something to say about that.

There is one more Air Time stage, the part where I miss it and need to write again. Because each time I kill Air Time, there is a part of me that misses writing it which I am sure is far stronger than the loss you feel from not reading it. And that is what keeps Air Time going.

This is the fourth coming of Air Time. The first was a weekly email that went out to friends, and lasted about two years. The second was basically a replay of the first coming, and lasted about six months.

That was followed by Air Time the Magazine, which was a 4-8 page magazine style email that came out about once a month, and lasted a little over a year.

Then came this blog. Dudi convinced me to write it, and it has been fun reliving some of the good old days with you all. It has been especially nice hearing from people with whom I had lost contact years ago.

Air Time has always been about stories, so I will leave you with one for the road.

It is 12th grade, in Toronto, and I am in Rabbi Mayerfeld’s shuir. Seven years after her sixth child, my mom has one more. My baby sister. The night I go home to meet her is the same night Saddam Hussein starts raining Scuds on Israel.

When I return to Toronto, Rabbi Mayerfeld asks me how my trip was, and what my sister’s name is. She is my sixth sibling, my parent’s seventh child, and I tell Rabbi Mayerfeld that her name is Batsheva.

Bassheva, he corrected me. Her name is Bassheva. No, I tell him. Her name is Batsheva.

Does she spell her name with a “Tes” or a “Suf” he asks. I am pretty pissed that the rabbi is making such a big deal about how we spell her name, so I tell him I have no idea, and maybe they are spelling it with a “Tes.”

Rabbi Mayerfeld walks away, leaving me wonder how someone who is so knowledgeable in Gemara can be so inconsiderate and narrowminded in real life.

Before I go, I just wanted to thank everyone who comes here, comments here, emails me and particpates in this blog.

16 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

I'm shocked by the quick exit, especially following your triumph on Boston Public Radio...Looking forward to a return of airtime in teh near future

June 28, 2005 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what they say about Reb Uri - He puts the hell back in menahel

June 28, 2005 12:08 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Mirty

Like I said, I will probably pick it up again. Maybe this is just one of the low points, but I need to step away from it for a little while.

June 28, 2005 12:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You will be missed.
(Damn! Right after I got mu link!)

June 28, 2005 12:53 PM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

so long sailor;)

June 28, 2005 1:24 PM  
Blogger DovBear said...

adios

June 28, 2005 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but we were on a break!

June 28, 2005 1:39 PM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

What's next for AT? There has been so many interesting reads over the years. Go find that old notebook.
Remember those quick stories on the back of any piece of paper you could find. Those were funny too.
Hope to hear more.

June 28, 2005 3:33 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Heck Air, I do it all the time. I just don't make it official. I'm not gonna say goodbye because I know you'll be back. You better be.

June 28, 2005 3:39 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Come ON! Reconsider, please. you will be missed.

June 28, 2005 6:48 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

M4, Reform - I just need a break from this blog.

I am leaving you in good hands with Her Time.

June 29, 2005 8:59 AM  
Blogger docyaak said...

maybe we'll see you on the loop now more often

June 29, 2005 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

His Time - Her Time - any time is cool with me. Maybe D and E can start contributing. Although I do admit the pink (?) is a little hard on these color blind eyes. See you in MKE.

June 29, 2005 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I just spent the last 36 hours reading this from post one just to catch up and find out there will be no more for a while.

July 04, 2005 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its no wonder your blog failed - with such disgrace for the best Rabbim in the world the decline of this blog should be the least of your worries. - i am referring to the story with Rabbi mayerfeld - one of the best people i have ever met

December 21, 2005 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Porsche dealer austin pool solar heating system Lake alamnor camping Australian risque swimsuits nude pregnant girl.com

March 04, 2007 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home