Thursday, June 09, 2005

Testing Limits

I am in a new Yeshiva, although I am not really sure why I am bothering. It is called Torah Mitzion.

There are two Rosh Yeshivas for the twenty boys who attend. One, who we call Shimmy, is young, has a hot wife, and smokes more than anyone I have ever spent time with. We form a connection very quickly.

The other Rosh Yeshiva is older. He is Rabbi Rhodes. He has convinced me to try going to Yeshiva one more time. I am bored, so I go.

It is my first Thursday night in Yeshiva, and my friends are going to Atlantic City. I go along too, and we spend the night playing slots and blackjack and roulette. Most of us are under 21, but no one asks for ID. The cash in our pockets are all the ID they need.

It is mostly the regular crew. Menachem, Shea, Michelle, Rivky, and others who I don't remember. We have a lot of fun, and leave at around 4:30 or 5 to make it back to Yeshiva for Friday morning davening.

I get back late, probably intentionally, trying to see what Rabbi Rhodes is going to do. Will this be a short stay in Torah Mitzion. He asks me why I missed davening, and I tell him. There is no reason to lie. I don't care if he kicks me out.

But he doesn't. He tells me to get back earlier next time, so I don't miss minyan.

It is the first time in a long time that I start to develop any respect for a Rabbi in Yeshiva.

11 Comments:

Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Just passing through. Im digging the blog by the way.

June 09, 2005 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

skrew this.
we wanna here about the gila breakup.

June 09, 2005 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i don't get it.
if a rabbi doesn't discipline you for flaunting the rules of the yeshiva, gambling against the law, and who knows what else, you have respect for him?
head case table for one, please!

June 09, 2005 12:49 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

Is Rabbi Rhodes Irish perchance?

June 09, 2005 1:06 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Air, you reminded me of my own limit-testing story. Check my blog.

June 09, 2005 1:45 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

THC - Glad you are enjoying the blog.

Anon 1 - We'll get there. There are a few problems with the Air Gila breakup. Looking back on it, I was not the good guy.

Anon 2 - The Rabbi gave me space, which I needed, without reacting.

Pearl - He wasn't Irish, but he was from California.

June 09, 2005 3:55 PM  
Blogger Resident said...

Nice to see someone still remembers the good times. Dont Forget, R. Rottman loves you.

Sincerely,
Stretch
Mercaz 91-93

June 09, 2005 4:00 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Hey Stretch. Welcome to Air Time.

June 09, 2005 4:33 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

anonymous - if you can tell me the bracha you make when you walk back to mercaz, i'll hook you up.

June 09, 2005 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I speant 2+ years at Torah Mitzion while it was in North Merrick and I continue to keep in touch with R` Rhodes regularly.

R Rhodes treats people as indaviduals with indavidual needs, wants, problems, issues, life experience, backgrounds, etc.

There are plenty of people in the world who don't agree with him.

I do.

June 17, 2005 3:43 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I am a big Rabbi Rhodes fan. I am glad that I wasn't there when the Yeshiva split up, because I would have had a hard time choosing between him and Shimmy.

June 17, 2005 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home