Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Game Ball

There is something especially empowering about being a youth coach. I've coached a few seasons of youth roller hockey, and when you watch the kids listen to what you say, run plays, and fight every minute they are out there, it feels good inside.

In my four season as a youth coach, I made it to the championship game twice, and lost them both. And I think that in some way, the coaches take it harder than the kids do.

Last night I had my first chance to coach Little League. The regular coach needed a night off. He gave me a blank line-up sheet, told me who was eligible to pitch, and walked to his seat.

Baseball is a hard game for young kids. IF you're not pitching or catching, it is easy to lose focus when you're in the field. Especially when Avi pitches, as most of the kids he faces strike out.

So as coach, you are constantly trying to keep the kids from drifting off.

Going into the final inning, we were tied at 0-0. As the visitor's we batted at the top of the inning. Our leadoff hitter struck out, but the next batter walked. The third hitter of the inning hit a grounder to second, and Roland, the kid at first, outraced the second baseman, slid, and was safe. A bunt single loaded the bases, and base hit drove the only run of that game home.

In the bottom of the inning, Avi pitched great, and I had my first Little League win under my belt. And after the game, the regular coach gave me the game ball.

2 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

nope, and they don't have pitchers hand. But if you hit it to the grass, there is a pretty good chance you can turn it into a homerun. Oh yeah, and they don't use a tennis ball either.

Long live Weingarden Dead End baseball.

July 20, 2005 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AT-Retire now while you're still undefeated.

July 20, 2005 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home