Friday, July 15, 2005

Actual conversation from yesterday

J - I don't like the word chronic

C - But chronic means ongoing. What word would you like.

J - I don't know, but chronic seems so negative.

Me - Rolling eyes, trying to stay awake. It is hour 3 of meeting,

CV - I agree. chronic doesn't make much sense if it is a negative word.

J - What word would you like, ongoing?

Me - stifling yawn, wondering why it is so hot in room

CV - No, ongoing is too pedestrian.

C - I think I like ongoing.

Me - Why didn't they get our food order. Why are we in this hot room for so long and no drinks.

CV - I like chronic more than ongoing

J - So you want to keep it as Chronic?

C - Yes, let's keep it.

CV - Isn't there a better word?

Me - It sure would be nice to have a break in a three hour meeting.

J, C and CV - OK, we'll keep chronic.

CV - And on the next page....

What can I say, its a living....

3 Comments:

Blogger Pavlovdog said...

Chronic sounds like "unhealthy"or so... where I live (Buenos Aires)there is a newspaper called "Chronic" ("Cronica" in spanish), and in fact IT IS negative. and unhealthy!!

July 15, 2005 7:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. Chronic is negative sounding and ongoing is pedestrian. Hmm. I feel like I missed the point of the post.

July 17, 2005 1:48 AM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

write "negative pedestrian" and then people will understand that it is chronic.

July 17, 2005 5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home