Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Rejection

I want to take this opportunity to mention that I have, more times than I'd like to admit, been the "rejectee." And now for my short stories.

Summer of '87, I was turning 13 then, and I was in sleepaway camp for the first (actually one) time to a co-ed B'nei Akiva camp. My second Shabbos there, I was sitting in the dining room at lunch, and some boy from my age-group came up to me and asked me if I'd take a Shabbos walk with his friend. I had heard him ask about 7 other girls before me, and I replied, "How desparate do you think I am?" His whole table laughed (at me, probably) and he continued on to 9th choice. Thinking back, eighth out of 35 girls? Not bad.

When I was a kid, my parents let me hang out with boys and be friends with them, but I wasn't allowed to "officially date" a boy until I was 16. When I was about 17, a friend set me up on a blind date with a 20 year old guy. I don't know why, but we ended up going to a movie, and it was New Year's Eve. Halfway through the movie Josh asked if he could hold my hand. I turned to him and said, "No! We haven't even spoken 2 words to each other this entire date! We hardly know each other!" And I didn't let him touch me. After that, I went out with him one more time, where he didn't try anything, by the way. After the second date, he called again, and I told him I didn't think it was going to work out. And I didn't want to be friends. And don't call me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

Its good you didnt slap my hand away. How could you though. You grabbed my hand first.

And this, by the way, is fight #2 of the three fights. Who grabbed who's hand first.

July 12, 2005 10:37 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Oooh, ouch... denied! That guy should've known better.
-OC

July 13, 2005 6:59 AM  
Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

One of my favorite scenes, lulei demistafina, from an Ohr Someach Purim shpiel years ago was a BT davening about his date and saying, "Please Hashem, if this isn't meant to be, please have her dump me so that I don't have to be the one to hurt another person's feelings."

He then paused and added, "Come to think of it, getting dumped can be pretty painful. Let me get back to You."

July 13, 2005 12:48 PM  
Blogger 2R said...

was it on a airplane? over a crossword puzzle? cuz then there'd be witnesses and you'd be able to put the whole argument behind...

July 13, 2005 6:24 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

do you have a name of the witness?

July 13, 2005 6:47 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

It was on my couch in front of a Beavis and Butthead marathon flown in from the D.

And there were no witnesses.

July 13, 2005 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another modern mixed message.
sure -- hang out all you want. but dont date.

i love it.

July 14, 2005 12:22 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

anonymous - Your black and white world is not nearly as perfect as you would lead us to believe.

Besides, what's wrong with hanging out?

July 14, 2005 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home