Monday, July 11, 2005

Goodbye Meridian

One of my first jobs after graduating from Wayne State was at Meridian, Kmart's print advertising agency. Within nine months I had been promoted twice, from Junior Copywriter to Copywriter, and then again from Copywriter to Senior Copywriter.

I trained new employees, old employees, and was very involved in a lot of areas. After about two years the company decided to re-train all their writers in design, and fired those who they felt were untrainable. And while I was angry about it at the time, those skills have worked out well in my post-Meridian career.

I left Meridian while Kmart was going through its bankruptcy, at the time one of the largest companies to ever file for Chapter 11. I thought the writing was on the wall, and was pleased for my former coworkers when Kmart righted itself and it was business as usual for Meridian.

There were a hundred things I hated about Meridian, starting with the client and including management's stubborn inability to recognize the creative talent they had on staff and their stubborn implementation of a database program that was both unweildly and unpredictable, despite the obvious fact that the database didn't work.

The one thing that kept everyone going at Meridian was the people. Immensely talented, fun, and hard working, we would frequently eat dinner at our desks, and go home long after midnight. It was a young work force, tatoo-covered and mildly pierced. It was a place where color, religion and sexual orientation didn't mean nearly as much as the work that was produced. A place where I was never given any religious hassles and never sensed any animosity, despite leaving others to finish my work on winter Fridays, and never felt a hint of resentment when I received special food treatment, and was allowed to go pick up kosher food while my coworkers worked and waited for their dinner to be delivered.

Shabbos. Kashrut. Kippa. All taken in stride.

Over the past few months, though, Kmart has merged/bought/been bought by Sears, and Kmart is moving its headquarters to Chicago, presumably to save money through consolidation with Sears.

On Thursday, the Detroit Free Press reported that Meridian was closing its Michigan office, and moving to Chicago as well, leaving many friends and former coworkers of mine out of a job.



I don't know if they will ever see this, but I just want to single out a few people who were extraordinary. Cindy Kenny, Beth Lee, Ben Jones and Joelle Leining from Team Eight. Also, Gigi Trajano, Paula (whose last name I can never remember but was married to Lou, was it Hyde?), Dave Freytag, Julie (another whose last name I can't remember) Scott Greenberg, Sam Bradbury, Jamie Brady, and Scott Counsell. I know some of them were laid off at the last round of belt-tightening, but they deserve mention as well.

More than anyone, Josh Wilhelmi, who was a Senior Writer and covered for me more times than I can count.

This happens every day across corporate America. But when it is your friends and former coworkers who gave everything they had to the company and find themselves on the outside looking for a job, it hits home.

Its sad, and couldn't have happened to a nicer group of people. I hope that they are able to turn this into a positive step forward in their careers.

Thank you all, and may you all find success in your future positions.

Post script: For those of you from Meridian reading this, I didn't intentionally leave anyone off the list. That includes Denise, JABBO, Sean, Adam and the rest of the fifth floor.

6 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

I hope they read this.

BTW, I took notice of the order of the names listed ;)

July 11, 2005 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written Arye! I'm very glad I had the honor of metting you and the rest of the Meridian gang! I couldnt have put it any better than the way youve stated it here. Also: I'm gonna break out my huge ego and assume that *I'm* the "Sean" you mention at the end of this piece :)

sean deason

July 12, 2005 6:05 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Hey Sean - Glad you enjoyed the post. I was actually referring to Sean Miller, but it could have been you too.

July 13, 2005 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew that, dude! Just messing with you! :)

July 13, 2005 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with Arye. I started at the Omaha end of the Meridian story about 5 years ago. I started there in 2000 doing simple clipping paths for all the Kmart images that were to be color corrected and placed in the ads. Soon I was hired on (I was a temp for 6 mos.) and worked on the Commercial Team consisting of a variety of different clients and smaller jobs that would periodically come though. It was great, the people there are fantastic too! Approx 2 years after I started I was asked to help out in Troy. Honestly I had already heard a speckaling of the insanity that occured in Troy.. but took it as an opportunity to learn another facet of the company. They soon offered myself and my boyfriend Ryan a job in Troy. We accepted, and kissed our loved ones goodbye and threw going away parties, and headed for the Motor City.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone I've met along the way. I never felt lonely, I was never bored, and honestly i think I have more friends here now, than I did back home! I'm not saying those late nights didn't SUCK! But I guess we were all purified by the flame and came out like gold.
There is a great possibility that I'll be moving to Chicago, and if I do, i'm going to miss everyone I've met here! But you are more than welcome to visit Chi-town anytime!!! It's only a few hours away! I can only pray I'll meet as many diverse and interesting and cool people there.

Love
Leah Roberts

July 14, 2005 2:27 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Leah that was great, but I can't believe you would follow Meridian to Chicago.

July 15, 2005 1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home