Monday, July 11, 2005

Reading for Idiots

As previously mentioned, I spent several hours at the mall today. One of the stores I love to spend time in when I am alone is the bookstore; in this case it was Borders Express.

I walked in to find many sale books and browsed right through. I was pleased to find the sequel to a teen-age book I read over Shabbos, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and I picked it up for purchase. Air and I like some light reading from time to time, and some of his previous roommates might remember the Sweet Valley High bathroom reading he used to do.

As I turned the corner, I notice the sign for Women's Literature. I sauntered on up, since I am a woman and was curious to see what was there. There they were: colorful books, all paperback, with stupid cartoonish pictures on the covers, and "interesting" fonts. I recognized some of these authors from grocery stores and the library, where I often peruse book titles.

The problem to me is, why are these books offered up as "women's literature"? Every one of them has completely useless dialogue, idiotic plots and even more inane subplots! Are we still living in the age where the perception is that women are the weaker and less intelligent sex? Why do these publishers print their bookcovers in hot pink and call them "The Shopaholics Guide to ......"? Is that how the world perceives women today? The worst part of it is that the publishers, editors, and writers are women themselves.

Ironically, there was no section for Men's Literature. Wonder what those book would look like... At least they would be hardcover...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone in my book club once quoted a show or article claiming that the whole 'women's' genre [i.e., women's literature, women's television, etc.] is a euphemism for stupid.

July 12, 2005 2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lets face it -- who watches all those crap movies and reads all those crap books if not chicks?

July 12, 2005 6:52 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 12, 2005 10:52 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

I know we do. We have a soft spot for weepy chick-flicks, but I take umbrage with the label.

July 12, 2005 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dearest veev.
one takes umbrage AT, not with.

and if the shoe fits, wear it.

July 12, 2005 2:53 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

My goodness, you want to fight.

July 12, 2005 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home