Friday, September 02, 2005

It's been a while

It's been a while since my last real post, but that's OK. If I had the choice of being busy at work and not blogging, or having nothing to do and blogging, I would take being busy in a heartbeat.

I have been watching the tragedy in New Orleans. For me there are only two feelings, sadness and shame. Sadness at the loss and destruction; shame at our government's inability to get needed supplies to people in trouble. This is America. Babies and old men are not supposed to drop dead on the street because of a lack of food.

I was very put off by a solicitation I received from i-Tunes, asking for money to help victims. The money is supposed to go to Red Cross, although since the money is being charged to my credit card through i-tunes, and i-tunes respects my privacy, the Red Cross will never know who they got the money from. Which means I have to trust i-tunes to give them the money they are trying to collect. Which sounds really shady to me.

But the thing I found most disappointing about the solicitation email was i-tunes (and Apple's) arrogance. There was no mention of what Apple or i-tunes was doing for victims. There was no matching funds. The only thing Apple included was six buttons of various denominations and the convenience of using my credit card that was already in their system. Shame on them.

And then there is the NFL, with it's $1M donation to victims. Let's do the math. The NFL is scheduled to receive a payment of $8B over the next six years, which by my math makes their $1M donation less than 1/10th of 1% of projected TV revenue. Way to step to the plate, NFL. Although Major League baseball also pledged $1M, the teams seem to be giving a lot in addition. The Yankees pledged $1M, the Dodgers gave $200,000, MLB.com is giving $1 for every purchase made at mlb.com, and there is a big matching fund donation day to take place at all fifteen MLB parks next week.

Gas has crossed the three dollar line, which means that stations are gouging customers again. Where are the government agencies that are supposed to protect the marketplace from mass exploitation? Because I don't know much about fuel economics and supply chains, but how did the gas in the pump suddenly cost station owners 30-40 cents a gallon more on the same day as the hurricane?

Its the same gas that cost 2.59 a few hours earlier.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the same gas that costs 2.60 in Omaha Nebraska.

September 02, 2005 11:46 AM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

I heard that Warrick Dunn has asked that every NFL player, with the exception of the Saints, donate 500,000 dollars. He finished his request by sayinbg if you don't you're just selfish.

September 02, 2005 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Home security monitoring atlanta Poems by jessie faucet Purchase butalbital apap k xenical 230 ge u-joints mercedes

March 02, 2007 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »

March 04, 2007 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home