Sunday, October 30, 2005

Where Have You Gone David Cohen

To my knowledge, there have been three religious Jews born in Morgantown, West Virginia over the past fifty years. My younger brother, who currently lives in Maalot, is one. I am the second. The third is a guy named David Cohen.

David Cohen met my dad while my dad was attending medical school at West Virginia University. He is the only person my dad gives himself credit as turning frum. After leaving West Virginia to become frum, David Cohen moved to Guelph, Ontario, where he was the town rabbi.

Then, he moved to Israel, and my dad completely lost touch with him.

We are on the third day of the pilot trip segment to our visit to Israel, looking for a place to live. Today, we spent time at Zichron Yaakov, and got a good feel for the community. Over Shabbat, we were in Hoshaya, a small Yishiv in the Galil, and we really enjoyed the Yishuv lifestyle that we were exposed to. We decided to add Mitzpe Netofa to our itinerary, a similar Yishuv that is looking to grow from 110 families to 220 families by the end of next year. They are offering a lot of benefits to Olim moving to small yishuvim in the galil, and are trying specifically to build up Mitzpe Netofa, and after our experience in Hoshaya, we talked to the coordinator of our trip to set us up with a meeting in Mitzpe Netofa.

The Tehila coordinator told us to call Sharon Cohen to set up a time for us to get together.

Is your uncle or dad a dentist, she asked me. No, I said. She was hard to understand over the cel phone, but I heard her say Morgantown over the static. My dad went to school in Morgantown, I told her. I was born there, I added.

The static died down, as I found out more. Her husband is David Cohen, the third Morgantown native to live a shomer shabbat lifestyle. He moved to Mitzpe Netofa years ago, and has often wondered what happened to my dad.

She sent the warmest regards to my dad, and when I called my father to tell him, he was amazed that of all the yishuvim in all the world be bumped into this guy...

LaHitraot

10 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

what are the odds

October 30, 2005 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Air,
If you are in Jerusalem look us up.
We'd love to see ya, if you get the chance.

SE

October 31, 2005 3:20 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

That's amazing. When I was up in Eschar, (that's also a small Yishuv of a little over 80 families in the Galil. It over looks Carmiel. If you're interested in looking it up, let me know.) for Hakafot Shniot, I met a woman who used to live in Oak Park and her kid went to Akiva. It was a bit surreal also. Jewish geography never fails.
-OC

October 31, 2005 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This should take care of your decision. Zichron Yakov = wine.
Also great handgliding.

October 31, 2005 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zichron Yaakov is a sweatbath in the summer. Impossible.

The local school is inferior -- you have to ship to Hadera.

There's an Old Boy network there, complete with corruption

The Orthodox aren't so much.

Outside of that, it's okay.

October 31, 2005 1:30 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Keg -

When we were standing at the Makolet Veev looked on the top shop and it all came together for her. A row of Keglavitch vodka bottles.

OC- Our Sherut from the airport ahad an akiva grad who was living in Texas and a former akiva student who was in college in Israel.

October 31, 2005 3:30 PM  
Blogger mom said...

Ar, the last name, as you must know by now is Levy, not Cohen
Thats a great story though. Every once in a while Daddy and I wonder whatever happened to him after Kansas!!

October 31, 2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

sorry i missed you guys @ lev i was down the block in rechavia, next year.

November 01, 2005 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom - Not sure but I think he was trying to keep him anonymous.

November 02, 2005 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Accutane prix Nissan xterra cruise control technology management schools horse racing at york

March 03, 2007 2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home