Friday, November 04, 2005

Apple Pizza

We were sitting at Apple Pizza last nigh, and my Middlest needed to use the bathroom. The bathroom is located upstairs, and as we walked up I wondered if I would see the same graffiti that covered those walls back in '91. As we neared the top of the stairs I saw a sign asking patrons to refrain from writing any graffiti on the walls, as the upstairs had been recently redone.

The walls were unmarked, and the bathroom was actually clean. While we were upstairs, my middlest wanted to look out the windows and yell down. Looking through those windows reminded me of one of the last times I was at Apple Pizza. Boomer was the Mercaz spy, and any Mercaz student caught anywhere neat the Midrachov would be instantly kicked out of Yeshiva.

Looking out the window, I could still picture Boomer walking past Apple Pizza, where I was sitting with some friends in the upstairs area to avoid detection.

I started to wonder if my belief system had changed since that time. Obviously, back then, I was against the Mercaz spy, and the constant threat of being kicked out of Mercaz for not following the rules. Had fifteen years and becoming a parent changed my attitude toward the way Mercaz went about enforcing the rules.

I didn't have to think about it very long. I haven't changed that much since then. I still think the Mercaz spy was a horrible misuse of Mercaz resources. Instead of working with students, they created a zero tolerance policy and used valuable human resources to walk through forbidden areas to catch wrongdoers. They refused to work with students in the yeshiva, preferring to get rid of any potential problems rather than work them out.

Instead of squelching student's desires to hang out, they forced students to find alternative places to hang out, places that were more private, and potentially less safe than a public street in the middle of a city.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay...
you have, in great detail, explained what mercaz did wrong. in equally great detail, practically speaking, what should they have done? how should they reasonably have dealt with airtime circa 1991? what would you really have expected of them?
(remember, a yeshiva has to stay viable too. their existence is largely based on rep, and if they lose their yeshiva street cred, they get no students next year.)

November 04, 2005 4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remind me again. Were you in yeshiva to learn or just to have fun.

November 04, 2005 9:49 AM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

Thats a shame that Big apple cleaned uup the upstairs.

November 04, 2005 11:35 AM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

if your Middlest needed to use the bathroom let him do what his mom did.

November 04, 2005 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A yeshiva is kind of like a firehouse without trucks or deserving superiors.
To continue the metaphor, it also rarely has fires.

Hey FFJerry, keep on effing those effs!

November 07, 2005 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Penis defects Milf+lesson Jeep grand cherokee limited 2005 Problem running sybase on window 2000 247 call center Columbus motor car cadillac Chat wilf milfs for free

February 16, 2007 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home