Monday, December 05, 2005

Kippa for Sale

I have a friend. We'll call him Aaron, mostly because that is his first name and I always get mixed up when I statrt giving people fake names. Aaron's sister got married a few months ago, and the whole family wore the same knit Kippa with their names on them.

Since then, Aaron's father and new brother in law almost always wear the "Offical" family Kippa to shul on Shabbos. Aaron, who sits on the other side of the shul away from his family, wears a plain black suede Kippa.

And so it occured to me one day as I sat in shul that it would be funny if we all went and bought the Kleid family Kippa. It was, of course, somewhat mean spirited, making fun of the whole family Kippa thing, but it was also going to be funny.

So there were six of us who ordered the Kippa. We talked to Aaron's father and found out where they ordered the Kippa, from a place in Israel, and placed the order.

The Kippas finally came in on Thursday. Zwicker, a frequent commentor who is currently looking for a date, sent out an email letting us all know that the Kippas were in, and we should try to be in shul on time this shabbos, so we would be wearing the Kippa when Aaron arrived.

I should say this. Veev thought it was a dumb idea. Other wives thought it was very funny.

I am typically a suede kippa wearer, and have been for many years. But for the sake poking fun at Aaron, I was willing to make the switch.

And so it was. I wasn't there at nine, but when I did get to shul, Aaron wasn't there yet, so I didn't miss anything. And when Aaron finally walked in, and looked across at our section, and saw six of us wearing the Kleid Kippa, the look on his face was priceless.

But I knew the joke wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was, when Aaron's mother came over to me. She told me how great our Kippa wearing was, and it sucked the wind out of the whole thing.

Anyway, now that the whole Kippa thing is over, I have an extra knit Kippa with the name Arye written on it in hebrew, so if you are in the market for an Arye knit kippa, let me know.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it you'll need it for Israel.

December 05, 2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

Sounds like you guys have, lulei demistafina, a pretty terrific shul!

Thanks for your kind comment on my post.

December 05, 2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Cloo - Within the Orthodox spectrum, our Young Israel has a fairly religiously diverse membership.

December 05, 2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

sounds like fun shabbos antics! send some ideas to toronto.

is this kleid family the same that graphic artist neil kleid stems from? i think i've read on his blog he's from the detroit area...

December 05, 2005 4:51 PM  
Blogger torontopearl said...

hey, just thought of something:

Ebay!

December 05, 2005 4:52 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Pearl, he has to find it first. When he wore it throughout lunch and wouldn't take it off, I eventually grabbed it off his head and hid it. I hate Srugi Yarmulkas on Air.

December 05, 2005 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAR!

December 06, 2005 3:04 AM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 06, 2005 5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, let me just point out that while I got the joke, I never took it as you guys making fun of me. In fact, it appeared more like you were making fun of my dad and Jose. That was compounded by the fact that my parents didn't seem to realize they were the butt of your joke.

Second, the moment I walked into shul and saw Jay wearing a Kippa Sruga, I knew what was going on.

Third, Zwicker couldn't even commit to the joke. Something about the Kippa being too small for his luxurious head of hair.

And yes Pearl, my younger brother is in fact the world-famous (at least in his own mind) Neil Kleid.

December 06, 2005 8:38 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Perhaps not so much poking fun at you as much as poking fun at the whole kippa thing

December 06, 2005 9:18 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

I just heard from another wife of these shenanigan-mongers that the Kippot weren't even the right ones! Wrong color or design, or something!

Also, word has it that Jay didn't mind the color difference. To quote him (getting back at the man), "I've always wanted a Srugi!"

December 06, 2005 9:25 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

They were identical in design, but the official Kippa is black and the ones we had were navy blue.

December 06, 2005 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was funny.

cab we move on now, people?

December 06, 2005 3:03 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

I don't know, cab we?

December 06, 2005 4:37 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

BTW, who's Jay?

December 06, 2005 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The capper on the joke-buzzkill was this weekend, though, when our parents came to NY and noticed that my future father-in-law wears the EXACT SAME KIPPAH DESIGN with HIS name on it.

Good times.

-Neil

December 20, 2005 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home