Monday, May 08, 2006

Great TV Turnoff - Huh?

My oldest came over to me yesterday afternoon asking me what I thought about the great TV turnoff. The turnoff encourages students to stop watching TV for two weeks. I think their tagline is turn off TV, turn on life. I think he told Veev that he wasn't sure if he shoudl do it, snd she directed him to me, to ask for advice.

We looked at the prize list. It wasn't great. And it wasn't gauaranteed. Just entry into a rafffle with other kids turning off the TV. And the grand prize, a $150 bike, is with kids from other schools in other states as well.

Then we looked at what is going to be on TV for the next two weeks. Basketball playoffs, hockey playoffs (even without the wings) and baseball games.

Weighing those two factors against each other, and being that he asked me what I thought he shold do, I told him he should keep on watching TV.

I don't think Veev was really excited when she heard me say that. So we got out the sheet that was sent home with kids about the TV turnoff. The sheet talked about how many murders children would miss on TV by not watching for two weeks, how many inappropriate other things they would be safe from for those two weeks.

But the truth is, we monitor what the kids watch. And my oldest is not interested in watching TV that doesn't feature a ball and competition.

So I told him that it was up to him, but that I didn't think the program was for kids like him. It is for kids who sit watching 5 hours of TV a day. He comes home from school, does homework, goes outside and plays hockey or baseball, comes in for dinner, tries to go back out for more ball playing, and then, wants to watch some sports for an hour before going to bed. And as far as I can tell, that's not half bad.

9 Comments:

Blogger DAG said...

I've often said sports is great to watch...ESP if the watcher understands the game and tries to outthink the Coach....

May 08, 2006 7:54 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Your kid has time for homework, 2 sessions of outdoor playing and then an hour of TV?? Wow. When does he stay up until? Mine barely has time to eat dinner if he does his homework!

May 09, 2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

he goes to bed at 8. He can suually do his homework in less than 30 minutes, and gets home from school by 4:15 the latest.

May 10, 2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

On the Dan Patrick radio show, he mentioned that the cable is turned off in house this month, so he takes his kids to hooters to watch sports

May 11, 2006 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

May 16, 2006 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

February 03, 2007 5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »

February 06, 2007 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! »

February 23, 2007 6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

March 01, 2007 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home