Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Israel at School

From Nursery through High School and beyond, I attended Yeshivas that did not even mention Yom HaAtzmaut or Yom HaZikaron. Until I spent a year in Israel, post high school, I was barely aware that these days existed on any calendar, or that there was any controversy surrounding these days.

In High School, I remember that there were a few classmates of mine who felt that we should say Hallel on Yom HaAtzmaut, but not knowing anything about it, and not being one to want to add more things to say during davening, I didn't pay much attention.

Now, I send my kids to a school that tells celebrates Yom HaAtzmaut with a BBQ, concert, and Hallel. Israel is very much a part of their education, and their education is probably a factor in our moving to Israel. However, I can't say I am comfortable with a concert during Sefirah on Yom Haatzmaut.

There were many factors involved in choosing the school my kids attend, but Israel was one of the factors. And it came down to a choice. Did we want to pick a school where Israel was non-existant in the classroom, or pick a school where Israel played a major role in the kids' education. And even though I am not always comfortable with the way they express support for Israel, I think we made the right choice for our kids.

I'd rather they get too much of Israel education and culture than none at all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

It's funny. I just had a conversation with my dad this morning about how I don't feel it's correct to celebrate Yom Haatzmaut outside of Israel with music and dancing.

It's like celebrating only one day of YomTov. It's a priveledge that should only be reserved for those living in Israel.

May 02, 2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

privelege

May 02, 2006 3:31 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Technically speaking, that would be privilege

May 02, 2006 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love how the school which you subject your children to and which is so zionistic is run by a bunch of yordim.

mo hypocricy.

May 02, 2006 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
How many stages of colon cancer are there Burlingame putnam cadillac hummer dealership weight loss pills Porsche pasm Infiniti qx4 floor mat car navigation system rating tom tom go 300 gps car navigation system

December 12, 2006 2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Www codemicro com support disc specs bontril frost free chest freezers http://www.roulette-system-6.info/citrus-heights-teeth-whitening.html Gift letter mortgage loans Seattle circuit breakers Diet pills for diabetics and people on medications Elektrostymulacja cellulitis body w trjmiecie Tooth whitening novi Apartment dallas ft worth Rhode island home heating oil prices http://www.teen-anal-7.info/Free-hilton-paris-sex-video-video.html

March 01, 2007 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home