Thursday, May 11, 2006

Phil 4:13

Last night, we went to watch a few Detroit Lions take on the Fraternal Order of Police, in a charity basketball game to raise money for the police department. We went last year and had a good time, and we expected to have a good time as well. They usually have second tier players at these kind of events, so it was surprising to see Josh McCown there, along with Scottie Vines, Dominic Raiola, Casey Fitzsimmons, and Corey Schlessinger.

McCown was entertaining the crowd with all kinds of dunks, as was Scottie Vines. Schlessinger was friendly to the kids in the crowd, and both my boys got to go out on the court and shoot free throws when the Lions got fouled. At one point they let a few kids play with the players, and everyone had a good time.

During halftime, the players were all available for signing autographs. The crowd was small at the Oak Park High gym, and the kids got through autographs from all five lions players within about 15 minutes.

I noticed McCown signed his autograph, and wrote Phil 4:13 next to his name. Curious what this meant, I searched online and found it quickly. And, as a public service message, in case any of you are ever wondering what it says in Phil 4:13, I am including it here.

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Not a bad message, although I don't care much for the new testament source.