Monday, June 26, 2006

And the winner is...



As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I was told that the manual I spent a year writing was up for an award in the Technical Writing category. The award dinner was last Thursday, and Veev and I got dressed up and went to the Oscar's for business communicators.

There were three levels of awards given in each category. They offered an Award of Excellence (First Place), an Award of Honor (Second Place) and an Award of Merit (Third Place).

There was also an Best of Show, which went to the best piece in the entire category (In my case, Technical Writing was a sub category to Writing), so there was one Best of Show for writing, plus three awards for each individual category.

I hoped we would win the Award of Excellence, but when they read the awards off, we only won an award of honor.

After the dinner ended, my former manager talked to the people in charge of the event, and pointed out that there seemed to be a math error on our scorecard.

When they re-tallied up the numbers. we had won the Award of Excellence.

I e-mailed the organization asking if they had a logo I could put on a web site, and after some back and forth, they emailed me two logos, one for the Award of Excellence, and one for Best of Show.

And after a few phone calls, by my former manager, I found out that we not only won the award of Excellence for Technical Writing, but won the Best of Show for best written piece overall.

Which, if you're an underappreciated writer like I am, is pretty darn cool.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ezzie said...

Congratulations. That's a good manager you have as well, making sure that his people are honored properly.

June 27, 2006 2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I caught this on cable!

June 27, 2006 5:33 AM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Hey AT: Mazal tov and Kudos on the award(s)!

Looking forward to seeing you here!

Jameel & co.

June 27, 2006 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS

June 27, 2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger 2R said...

Air - This is huge! Congrats! Let's celebrate...what are you up to Thursday?

June 28, 2006 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Pharmacy purchase zocor Microsoft pop stopper up virus scan Consumer report on whole house water filters Boating abc play slot machines for web tv http://www.internet-marketing-course-3.info/web-page-promotion-key-largo.html slots 2003 acura nsx pictures hummer modellauto ca millionaire riding Ge+dishwasher+part 1962 pontiac bonneville for sale Hack craps online baseball pee wee high school basketball texas Diamond multimedia home page lose weight to freedom used cars Zoloft marriage problems

February 07, 2007 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

February 21, 2007 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home