Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Our Stuff - The Happy Ending

This past Shabbat, I was called up for Rive'ee, the fourth Aliyah in this week's torah reading. The section included the beginning of Parshat Masei, which lists out the travels that the jews made as they would their way through the desert on the way to Israel, and I started to think about our journey here. We left our house on June 12, and went to my parents house, where we stayed for a few weeks, before moving on to New Jersey for a week at my in-laws.

From New Jersey, we went to Ranana, and stayed at Veev's aunt and uncle there. For Shabbat, we went to Jerusalem, to Bayit Vegan. The war started getting more intense at that point, and warnings went out for anyone north of Tel Aviv to be near a bomb shelter. Even though we thought Ranana was safe, it is north of Tel Aviv, and so we decided to extend our stay in Jerusalem by a few days.

After a few days in Jerusalem, the Youth Hostel we had been staying in at Bayit Vegan had gotten to be too much, so we decided to go home, finally, to Modiin, and borrow whatever we needed to survive. This included a fridge, some air mattresses, and table with chairs.

During the Aliyah, I started to wonder how long we had been without our stuff. I tried to do some quick math in my head, and realized it had been about forty days since we left. And since forty is the same number of years that the Jews wandered in the desert, I thought it was enough time to get our stuff.

On Monday morning, we were at a neighbor's house, borrowing a microwave, when we got the call. Our stuff had arrived, and was cleared by customs, and would be delivered that afternoon.

A short time later, i got a call that they would be arriving in half an hour, and half an hour later, the turck was being unloaded at my house.

After all the lift was unloaded, I went and counted back forty days from Monday, and came to Thursday, June 15, exactly 40 days after our things left our house.

I don't know if it means anything, but it is pretty interesting to me.

Anyway, our stuff is here now. We have been opening boxes, putting things away, and so far, have not found anything to be broken.

To all those, Like Emah S, who have not yet got their stuff, I hope your shipments come in soon, because there is nothing better than sleeping on your own stuff.

And yes, there is a slight amount of guilt when you worry about your things being stuck in Haifa and all the people from up in the north have been either under attack, or have left their homes.

My brother is among the wanderers, and has had to rent an apartment and office space in Jerusalem as he and his family are waiting out the war.

You can read about his wanderings on rock of galilee


Blogger Emah S said...

Air...........MAZAL TOV!!! Hoping we have a happy ending to share soon! Our protectzia isn't working too well, going to have my hubby make another call today. We're going on as you did though, moving into our apt. this week. Thank goodness we waited till we got here to order most of our appliances. We'll have everything except for a washer/dryer here and hooked up in our new apt. by this Sunday. Thank goodness saba/safta are only minutes away and we can use their washer and bring stuff back to our place to hang!

anyway, glad to hear of the pot of gold at the end of the tunnel!

July 26, 2006 8:11 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Thanks Emah S. It was realy great to sleep in our own beds instead of those air mattresses, and we got everything with very little damage done/

July 26, 2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

Wow. So your stuff was at sea for 40 days and 40 nights, eh? Did it come back with a dove and olive branch?

July 26, 2006 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Rare and expensive antique scent perfume bottles higher education wto gats eu Hong kong internet marketing design Dublin caufman football School of tommorow Ring tones who let the dogs out suffolk county schools

February 16, 2007 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home