Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Working In Israel

I had a number of jobs before making Aliyah. Some were great, some were not. But even in the best jobs, there were always things that made me feel like an outsider. Like not being able to go out with my co-workers on Friday night, or eating with them when they went out to lunch. Always needing someone to cover for me when we were up against a deadline and it was Friday night, or just covering my regular workload on those short Friday afternoons.

I haven't been at my new job long enough to know if I like the work yet, but I am in love with the office culture.

My team eats lunch together in the kosher dining room, and instead of people asking me what Yom Kippur was, all my coworkers wished each other a Tzom Kal (easy fast). No one thinks it is odd that I walk out of my office and go downstairs in the middle of the afternoon to daven mincha at the company minyan. And even though the company I work for is officially an english-speaking company, it is nice to hear people walking through the halls speaking hebrew, listing things as Aleph and Bet, instead of A and B.

Culturally, this job is everything I could have asked for from an Israeli company. Hopefully, the work will be as fulfilling as well.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder where you could be working ... "an English language company" in Jerusalem?

October 03, 2006 10:58 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

nope. Try northwest of Jerusalem. Thank god I am not working the call center at IDT.

October 04, 2006 3:52 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

October 04, 2006 4:22 AM  
Blogger docyaak said...

im in a similar environment, i have all major holidays off and even some minor ones as well. i even saw my boss at morning prayers! have a good succos:) chag sameach

October 04, 2006 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home