Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Boomer is Coming

It is Succos in Israel. There is no schedule to follow. No rules to keep. No rabbis to listen to. Except in Mercaz. We have been warned about dating girls, talking to girls, being seen with girls, even thinking about girls. These creatures who we have been so sheltered from are completely off limits.

If you are for some unforseeable reason forced to spend a meal with a girl, you must mumble the Shema for the entire time you are sitting at the table as she is, so as to not to be tempted to talk to her. OK. maybe I am exagerating. But only a bit.

We, of course do not listen. We are eighteen and nineteen years old, and when we open a gemara, we are thinking about girls. When we are sitting in shiur, we are thinking about girls. When we listen to the Chief give one of his endless mussar shmoozes, we are thinking about girls.

And so, whenit is vacation time, we are looking for girls.

It turns out that there is a hunting ground to find girls. Hundereds of them, just sitting around, waiting to be found by someone. And one bitch who doesn't want anyone to talk to her, she is there to pick up a package or meet a parent's friend from home.

These places are hotel lobbies.

We, the students, know it. Mercaz knows it. Boomer knows it.

We are forbidden to go hang out in hotel lobbies, unless we are there with parents or other adult friends from home. We go anyway.

There are two hotels where everyone congregates. The LaRomme and the Plaza. It seems the more Yeshivish crowd hangs out at the Plaza; the modern crowd is at the LaRomme.

It is the second day of Yom Tov, and Boomer walks in. I am told that Mercaz students were hiding behind couches and around corners. Boomer does not catch anyone. He talks to some people, who are allowed to be there, and heads to the Plaza, where a large group of Mercaz students are hanging out.

It seems to me now that it was a girl named Debbie, but it could have been my roommate Menachem. Either way, one of them had the hotel staff call the Plaza with a message. One minute later, a staff member at the plaza walked through the lobby of the hotel with a sign saying Boomer is Coming.

Boomer walked into the Plaza, saw that everything was fine, and made the long trek back to Talpiot.

11 Comments:

Blogger Just Passing Through said...

heh heh. I remember that story clearly. Were you there? I was in the Plaza lobby when the hotel put the call out that Boomer was on his way over. It was like turning the light on in a roach-infested room. Everyone else was like: "who the #!$*'s Boomer??"

May 18, 2005 4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Story.

Really dusting off the old memory album.

May 18, 2005 4:55 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Wow, you've been busy posting today! It's getting so I hate going to meetings all day because it keeps me away from the computer!

May 18, 2005 5:49 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

How many meetings does it take to get a candy and nut dish put together.

May 18, 2005 6:12 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

LOL, I forgot that's what I do. A lot, if it's a very BIG candy platter. (We're speaking in metaphors, I assume).

May 18, 2005 6:17 PM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

"It's getting so I hate going to meetings all day because it keeps me away from the computer!"

MO4 -- and that is exactly when you realize, uh oh...i've got a problem.

May 18, 2005 7:05 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

Hi, my name is OrthoMom, and I am a blogaholic.

May 18, 2005 7:09 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

I found the phrase in a magazine: Manic Blogger.

May 18, 2005 7:30 PM  
Blogger orthomom said...

I guess if I can still spend the day away from the computer without jonesing so bad that I have to sneak back to log on, then I'm still not quite manic yet.

(In BA, they call that DENIAL)

May 18, 2005 7:33 PM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

I see Veev is now commenting on other blogs too. The blog Virus is spreading. Good to see you out here Veev.

May 18, 2005 8:46 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Thanks, JPT!

May 19, 2005 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home