Thursday, August 18, 2005

Be Careful What You Wish For

It is Skokie, and it is Winter, and it is late. We have finished playing hockey or basketball, and it is time for some refreshment. Lippy has a car, and I don't, so I jump into his car, and we go to the one place that can serve all our needs.

7-11. Home of the Slurpee.

There is a man working there with a dot on his ehad. He recognizes us and says hello. We nod back. Lippy is talking and using some of those words that he always likes to make up and pretend that they are real, like funders, and is probably talking about the little blond girl and her boyfriend that he is hoping to steal.

We have gone Slurpee shopping before, but today, Lippy is going to learn what it means to have grown up around the corner from 7-11.

He takes his cup and the domed plastic cap, the one with the whole that is the perfect size for sticking the slurpee nozzle into, and filling up the slurpee. He fills it up, and watches as I fill up my cup without the domed cap on it.

Hey, he says to me, you are not getting enough Slurpee, he says. Put on the cap, he says, and you can get more slurpee.

Lippy, watch and learn, I tell him. It is time for you to learn the secret of the Slurpee.

You see, filling up a slurpee is not as simple as pushing the lever and letting the Slurpee fill the cup. There is a process involved. The Slurpee makes you earn it, I tell him. I am in my element. I have been filling Slurpees for years, and got my education from the Kollel kids who lived in the shadows of the 7-11 and could tell you anything about filling up a Slurpee.

I fill my cup 3/4 of the way, and then put a straw in the cup. I stir it for a few moments, letting the Slurpee breath, and the air trapped undeer the slurpee escape.

The Slurpee settles to a level that I know from experience means I have maximized by air removal and slurpee potential, and refill it, this time slightly higher, and repeat the process.

I continue to fill and repeat, as Lippy watches in awe. Finally, I am finished. Lippy asks to hold my slurpee, and weighs it against the Slurpee in my other hand. My slurpee wieghs twice much as his. He is visibly impressed by my Slurpee expertise, and goes on to tell everyone of my Slurpee wizardry.

11 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

his first choice was the girl

August 18, 2005 3:59 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Ahhh...Those were the days

August 18, 2005 3:59 PM  
Blogger Dindel said...

Another method would be once the cup is full put the dome lid on. And tap the cup hard (but not too hard) with the bottom flat. It compresses the air…. Then you have more room to continue filling.

Or you could always fill it on your way in… hang out for a while and if the guy knows you… just refill before you pay. But I wouldn’t suggest walking in to any 7/11 and doing that. It should be one where they know you. (Oh, and I think you have to be a chick to get away with that..)

Its all about the slurpee!!!!! 

August 18, 2005 5:20 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

By the way, Michigan sells more Slurpee's then any other state!
Here that JACK!


But they don't teach English. Did you HEAR that. ;)

August 18, 2005 5:25 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Dindel - Tapping works just fine, but if the store is crowded you can't always find a good tapping spot.

August 18, 2005 6:55 PM  
Blogger SHEV said...

u have no life- in a good way...thanks 4 the tip ;)

August 18, 2005 11:15 PM  
Blogger SHEV said...

btw- did u get ur slurpee bracelet yet? i got mine!\

August 18, 2005 11:15 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Krunky,

That is pretty good. Of course I am obligated to tell you that breakdancing was big in 1983 which means that you have a career performing at county fairs or on shows like the Surreal Life.

You know, it is that show that pulls hasbeens out of the woodwork so that they suck another 15 minutes of fame from the world.

August 19, 2005 1:58 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Krunk,

If you consider that talent and it makes you happy, then I am happy for you.

BTW, bashing detroit is not something I do for comments, it is just out of sheer boredom. :)

August 22, 2005 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im still stuck on the name lippy...

August 24, 2005 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »

March 05, 2007 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home