Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Is Sports Good For You?

SportPsych Detroit says the sports is good for you. It is constructive, teaches abstract skills, geography and history. And it is all those things, but reading his essay on how good sports is for you is a lot like reading your ninth grade textbook on reproduction to discover how good sex is.

What SPD leaves out is the passion, artistry and poetry that we witness on the playing fields. I have never seen DaVinci paint, but I watched Barry Sanders run all over the Silverdome for ten years.

I have never met a king or queen, but I know royalty and privelege when I see the Yankees play baseball

I may not read Frost or Dickenson, but I recognize poetry in motion whenever I watch an offensive line working together to protect the quarterback.

I have never seen God split the sea, but I watched a miracle one day when Buffalo came back with 35 unanswered points against Houston.

Sports is about John Elway diving for touchdown in the Superbowl, about the Titans working from early August and playing into late January, only to finish half a yard shy.

Is sports good for you? Absolutely. All the lessons that schools fail to teach, about consistency and following rules, are there on the sports field. A ball that lands 365 feet away in the stands, 1 foot foul, is a long strike, and if your foot is touching the out of bounds marker when you land after catching the ball, its not a catch.

Now, lets stop reading so damn much and play ball.

4 Comments:

Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

Air,
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.

I guess I was speaking to the individual who said (and I paraphrase):

"why are frum jews wasting so much of their lives on sports?"

Oh, one more thing, that anonymous person also told me to "get a life."

So, I wanted to systematically refute his/her argument that it is a waste of time. If it sounded clinical and academic, that's because that's what it was. I apologize for letting you down. Just as long as it was eloquently written and argued.

Today, I'll consider myself among Bob Costas, George Will, and Howard Cosell. Tomorrow, I'll go back to being Stuart Scott, Terry Bradshaw, and others who enjoy sports for the fun of it, and don't really think too hard...

August 16, 2005 8:40 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

dont get too far into Stuart Scott mode. You might find yourself hosting the top 25 greatest moments right before the half or stump the schwab.

Go with Chris Berman, he gets Prime Time, the best baseball games, and pretty much cn do whatever he wants on ESPN

August 16, 2005 11:57 PM  
Blogger SportPsych Detroit said...

Yeah he gets to work and be Burt "BE Home" Blyleven.

Or I can be Dickie "Diaper Dandy" Vitale...

August 17, 2005 10:38 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Ra "Feel free to self medicate" Palmeiro

August 17, 2005 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home