Friday, August 12, 2005

West Virginia Here We Come

Some of you may know this, others will nod and say I knew there was something about that boy, but here goes.

I am a native West Virginian. Third generation. I was born there. My dad was born there. And both my grandparents were born there.

I lived in Morgantown until I was three, when my family moved to Detroit.

I know Jack is getting ready to fire off a comment about culture in Morgantown compared to LA, but I don't think the plastic set in LA can possibly understand real America.

Anyway, I noticed on Yudel that there is a big Jewish get together in Charleston the weekend of Shabbos nachamu. And since I will be in NJ for Shabbos Nachamu, and driving back to Detroit on Sunday, it makes sense to give my kids a sense of where they came from and some culture on the drive back.

We'll play some John Denver and sing Take me home, country roads, to the place I belong...
I can't wait. Now I am actually looking forward to going to New Jersey.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Morgantown has more culture than detroit. Why would I say anything bad about it, not as much as LA, but it does ok.

August 12, 2005 5:03 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

jack, you're a funny funny man.

August 12, 2005 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Air's a hick,Air's a hick....na na nana na.;)

August 12, 2005 5:15 PM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Actually many people think I am. You love me or hate me, there is not too much in between.

Kind of like the pistons, they either suck or they win. ;)

August 12, 2005 5:26 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Jack - I haven't picked which camp Im in there.

Swifty - Not likely. you might have a shot at hanging out with veev though.

August 12, 2005 6:45 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I have cousins who live in Charleston, WV. I wonder if you know them.

August 13, 2005 12:02 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Ah, inbreeding.... Explains alot;-p

August 13, 2005 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray Charles's version of "Take Me Home Country Road" is far superior to anything that John Denver could have imagined.

August 14, 2005 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey don't mess with West Virginia they have a Jewish congressman, REP. CANTOR. (I know his cousin's in Flint)

August 15, 2005 8:44 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Stacey - If they are involved in Bnai Jacob synagogue, I am sure they knew my grandmother, who was very active in the shul and in Hadassah until she died about two years ago. My dad moved away from there almost 30 years ago, and while I visited my grandparents home on the Kanawha river many times growing up, the only person i know there who is still living is an uncle who moved back there.

August 15, 2005 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

February 21, 2007 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home