Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The two most important words

I began taking a Hebrew Ulpan this week. My hebrew language skills are dismal. Conjugation, masculine and feminine, and the order of words in hebrew sentences have always been lost on me. My yeshiva education, which prepared me with the legal information on who is responsible in case I ever had a cow trip and fall into a pit that is located in a public square, did not provide me with any hebrew speaking skills.

I had to miss the first class because I was hosting Monday Night Football BBQ club last week, so this past Monday was my first class.

We were learning how to order food in a restaurant, which may be the most important of all language skills, but it wasn't until the very end that I learned the two words that are going to accompany me every time I walk into a restaurant.

Al ha'aish. - On the grill.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Don't forget "Ayfo HaOdef?"

(Where's my change)

And be prepared that when a waiter gives you food in Israel, they say "biVakasha".

Sometimes, they'll just say it in English, "please"

Why are they saying "please" if presenting you with the food your ordered? I have no clue.

January 11, 2006 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like Americans saying "by all means" or some such term. It makes no sense but it's a polite way to say "here ya go."

January 11, 2006 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its not too late to reconsider, you know.

January 12, 2006 6:00 AM  
Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

make sure to bring your own heavy-duty barbeque in order to have your own Al-Ha'aish all year round

J.

January 12, 2006 6:06 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

Can you get propane for the tank there?

January 12, 2006 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cannot believe you are asking about getting explosives in israel.

January 12, 2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Yeah, "to order" is: להזמין
Which is funny because it means "to invite" also.
Oh yeah, and here's the most important word for you: מנגל
BB-Q!
Fun, eh?
-OC

January 12, 2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Very good, OC.

January 12, 2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Veev: Absolutely - you can get tanks filled here without a problem.

There's also a cool new device from Machon Tzomet you can attach to your grill, which safely turns off the gas on chag -- in case you want to BBQ on chag.

January 15, 2006 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ATTENTION ALL TERRORISTS!!!
READ THESE POSTS!

January 16, 2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

Thanks, Jameel. You're invited to the first barbeque.

January 16, 2006 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home