Friday, February 10, 2006

The Coffee, the Sock, and the Dentist

I have a dentist appointment this morning. And one sock.

This is not a laundry situation, I have plenty of socks in my drawer at home. But I am not home. I am at work. And let me just add that this is not a situation where I forgot to put on both socks that came in the pair. As I do almost everyday, I took out a balled up pair of socks, and put one on each foot.

This, my friends, is a coffee problem.

As I got out of the car this morning, I put my coffee on top of my car. And I just want to add right here, that had this been my car, this whole one sock dentist situation would not have happened. Or it might have. Maybe this was written on Rosh HaShana, maybe God thought it would be funny to have events turn out this way. To be honest, I don't really want to get into a whole existential talk about what God does and doesn't take control of. SO we'll just focus on the sock and the dentist. And the coffee. And my dad's car, which I am using while he is out of town.

Its a Toyota Prius, known for being a hybrid, but few pay attention to its shape. Which is rounded on top. The rounded top may be good for aerodynamics, or fuel economy. I don't know about those things. I am not an engineer.

But I do know this. A rounded top car, covered by a layer of freshly fallen snow, is not a good place to put your cup of coffee when you get out of the car. It does not say this in the car's manual, although perhaps it should have a warning. If a coffee cup needs to say contents may be hot, a car roof where people put their coffee cups when they exit their vehicle should warn that this location is not a safe place to put coffee.

But the car did not say that. And so, I put my coffee there, turned around, turned back to get the coffee, felt a bump on my leg where the coffee first hit me, and felt the hot coffee land all over my foot. Soaking through my sneaker. And soaking my sock.

The burn marks on my now exposed foot are pretty insignificant. 80 minutes after the fact, someone looking at my foot for signs of being attacked by coffee would find no evidence that coffee ever touched my foot.

But my sock is still soak, despite the fact that I have had it hanging over the garbage can for the last hour and change. And my shoe is still wet. And the snow is still falling. And I have to leave for the dentist in 10 minutes.

I've never used the microwave at the office. But maybe now would be a good time to try it out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Just Passing Through said...

Hilarious. what about the heating vents in the office? Reminds me of my thoughts that car driver windows need to have a warning that you must roll it down before attmpting to toss your cigarette while going 70 MPH. hmph.

February 10, 2006 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, When the shpritz is empty, never try to pour the blue stuff from your sunroof onto the windshield when the car is moving.

February 10, 2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Just Passing Through said...

yes, that too.

February 10, 2006 10:02 AM  
Blogger O's fan said...

There was an Israeli guy at Maryland who's shabbos pants were still wet after going through the dryer 15 minutes before shabbos. He decided that it would be a good idea to put them in the microwave. Subsequently, he found out that the microwave won't dry them but it will make them extremely hot.

February 10, 2006 11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » »

February 02, 2007 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Pictuers of shaved pussy Auto insurance oxford life assurance quote in scotland 1996 pontiac gran am engine information san diego cosmetic dentistry American leather sleeper sofa

April 26, 2007 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home