Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Playing Life

We play a lot of board games in our house. Winter friday nights are filled with Memory, Rummykub, Checkers, Chess, Chinese Checkers, and Backgammon are just a few of the games that we play. We also play Uno, Monopoly Junior, Boggle, Clue, Connect Four and Trouble.

And others, which I can't remember.

We even play Sorry every once in a while.

But the one game I hate playing with my kids is Life. The game has changed quite a bit since I was a kid. It allows for more variables, many of which yiou experience in real life.

And I hate the game. After going to work, paying bills, and living life, the last thing I ever want to do is play Life. But when i tell my kids that I don't need to play Life, I am living it, they get upset that I won't play it with them.

But I still won't play it with them.

-----

We have some game quirks in our house. Veev refuses to play Monopoly with me, after an incident which happened the only time we ever tried to play the game together. I don't remember the incident, but we don't even own the game.

We have Cranium, but we have never had a chance to play it.

We play Scattergories when we get together with my family, but that doesn't happen that frequently. And whenever we play that game, everyone accuses me of making things up. Which is part of the game.

Apples to Apples is a fun Shabbat afternoon game, as is Scrabble, but only if the kidsa are otherwise occupied. Why do little kids think they can play, or insist on sitting on a parents lap. And how did my nine year old score 250 points last week when we played together.

But just stop asking me to play Life. I really, really hate that game.

8 Comments:

Blogger Air Time said...

last time we tried playing trouble I think my littlest wasnt strong enough to push the dice thing in the middle.

February 28, 2006 11:58 AM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

cranium is a fun game

February 28, 2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Try Quandary. :)

February 28, 2006 4:26 PM  
Blogger Yehuda Berlinger said...

I just live for seeing comments about board games from Israeli bloggers. My blog is all about board games, and I live in Jerusalem.

The current board game market was squashed twenty-five years ago when Hasbro became a monopoly so powerful that it makes Microsoft's monopoly look like a joke. They now own Parker Bros, Milton Bradley, and every other company that you've heard of.

Hasbro hasn't produced anything new and interesting in board games since Trivial Pursuit. Cranium and Scene It are the best that they've been able to come up with in twenty five years.

In the meantime, in the independent market, there are thousands of beautiful, easy-to-learn, fun yet strategic, engaging, multi-player, shabbat-playable games that are being produced and can't get distribution in America. They are more well known in Europe.

I, and some other freaks like me, have been playing these games for years in Israel. If you want to learn some new games, come to the Jerusalem Strategy Gaming Club in Jerusalem on Wed nights. If you prefer, I can come to you and show you some of the games.

The most famous title is Settlers of Catan. Some other great ones are Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, El Grande, Torres, and so on.

A few of them are actually being sold in Israeli toy stores now. A few really good ones are Blokus and Hiburim, the latter also known variably as "Connections" or "Ingenious" in English. Excellent games. Also card games "No Thanks!", "Take 6", or for kids "Rat-a-tat Cat". The list goes on an on.

You don't play computer games from 25 years ago so why play the same board games? Board and card games have undergone a real renaissance.

Yehuda

P.S. I don't sell them, by the way. I just prosletyze about them!

March 01, 2006 2:24 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

yehudah - thanks for the info. I think we may have to hold off a bit on coming to the game club. It is a heck of a trip from Oak Park, MI.

I hate to tell you this but I still play original pac man and galaga, although it is on a playstation.

But I will look out for the new games when we move to Israel this summer.

March 01, 2006 7:45 AM  
Blogger Yehuda Berlinger said...

Thta's what happens when you read to many blogs. You get confused as to who lives where. Sorry; I was thinking you were a Jerusalemite.

Actually, I like some old computer games too, ironically enough. Just imagine, however, if the only games being produced were PacMan: Star Wars Episode II edition, and PacMan: Powerpuff Girls Collector's Edition 2005. And meanwhile, you and your friends play Red Alert.

Oh, and do drop by when you make aliyah!

Yehuda

March 01, 2006 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cranium is fun, I like Scattergories and Apples to Apples is terrific! I liked Life when I was a kid, but agree with you--why do you need to play it if you're living it?

March 01, 2006 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it red twin sofa sleeper http://www.dodgeviper0.info/Sofas.html

March 05, 2007 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home