Thursday, October 05, 2006

"Big Mistake...Big, Huge"

Yesterday, while Air was still at work, I took the kids to Yerushalayim to see a real-live Arba Minim sale. Forgot the fact that it was totally lost on them since their Daddy has bought his set every Motzei Yom Kippur since forever, and they've slept throught its purchase. So they don't know the difference anyway.

We went to the land of everything Jewish, Me'ah Shearim, where I thought we'd all go through the tent together and purchase what we needed for the boys. There was only one flaw in my thinking. I wasn't allowed in because I'm a girl. I spent the first five minutes there just being outraged. I let the kids walk in there themselves, and they came out after 2 minutes. We ended up buying for them on the street. They chose their own Lulavim and Etrogim, so that was fun.

Here's where it got hairy.

We were going through some decorations tables trying to find the most outrageously gaudy cellophane we could find, when some black-hatted, curly payis wearing men started yelling. We looked over to find out what the deal was, and the Bnei Akiva type kids were yelling back. Apparently it's sorta taboo for boys and girls to sell items at the same table. And maybe for girls to sell at all in Me'ah Shearim. The girl was visibly shaken and scared. I don't know what she was scared of. Tear gas? I told her she did nothing wrong, not to worry, and she should go get herself some ice cream and she's feel better. I also told her that just because someone looks the part doesn't mean he's covered the very important Sugya of Kavod Habriyot.

The men were clearly cowards unable to control their "bidness" in the presence of a teenage salesgirl. I mean, aren't there more important things to worry about? Like the Tigers in the playoffs. OY.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if your on their turf you have to play by their rules. If you don't like their rules, get out!

October 05, 2006 5:19 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Oh don't worry. I don't plan on a skirt spree there for a long time.

October 05, 2006 6:17 PM  
Blogger and so it shall be... said...

Fuck. Those. Frummy. Bastards.

October 06, 2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Veev, she was scared because those Mea She'arim "frummies" could have started throwing rocks and other potentially life-threatening items at her. It's dangerous in Ultra to the umpth degree Jewville. I never walk through there. It upsets my sense of what Judaism is supposed to be.
-OC

October 08, 2006 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Anonymous said...
You know, if your on their turf you have to play by their rules. If you don't like their rules, get out!"


BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!

October 08, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

My goodness, people, let's tone down the language a little bit. This is not 8-Mile.

October 09, 2006 2:12 AM  
Blogger Shifra said...

Good job Veev!
I'm sure what you did for that girl will stick with her just as long as what that those terrible men did.

I was also screamed at in my day by charedi men. It certainly drew more attention to me than I might have attracted on my own. These men have serious issues.

...and ice cream is good for what ails you.

I'm very impressed all around.

October 09, 2006 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A newly svelte Veev sans skirt!
Va-va-va-va-voom!

October 10, 2006 5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OC, I so love your ahavas yisrael.

October 10, 2006 5:31 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

The title was for you Swifty.

October 11, 2006 2:06 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Yeah, that might have freaked her out even more...

October 22, 2006 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home