Monday, October 23, 2006

Krembo

I don't know if you have ever tried this delicacy. I know I never have, or I would have definitely remembered it. To Israeli children, it's the winter's answer to icepops. Israeli parents don't let their children have icepops from Succos until Pesach beacuse it's too "cold".

Here's how it went down. My four-year-old daughter had a birthday party and there received many parting gifts: a play camera, a bag of bisli, a chocolate bar, a lolipop, a tiny doll with a little crib, and two Krembos. My little child doesn't like to try new things, which is why she won't touch Bamba or Bissli. I can live without her eating all those chemicals anyway, but no Krembo? How's she ever going to fit in to Israeli society?

For all those out there who have no idea what a Krembo is, I will attempt to describe the two (yes, both) that I ate. It's a cookie/sweet cracker, topped with fake Pareve whipped cream, and the whole thing is covered completely with a layer of hard chocolate. It's right disgusting, and yet, I can't walk away from it. I might have seen something similar at a wedding, and that one was probably better. But Krembos are here, and in abundance.

8 Comments:

Blogger Just Shu said...

I remember one Krembo that I ate on Purim at one of my Rabbi's in Israel, h tooka syringe and injected alcohol into it. It was the nastiest thing I ever tasted

October 23, 2006 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You definately ate Krembos all those summers in Israel. Ask your big sister. She probably remembers as well.

October 23, 2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger bec said...

even our shaliach said that eating krembo is actually the key to a successful absorption into israeli society. :D

October 23, 2006 6:44 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Then I'm on my way.

October 24, 2006 3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Veev, keep them in the freezer, it extends the enjoyment of it! and yes, there is a Mocha flavor too, but I haven't tried it yet.

October 24, 2006 6:16 AM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Yeah, I just can't get used to them. They are tooo sweet!! Besides, with all those calories in just one of those things, you might as well take all that fat and inject it straight into your thighs. More a kid's thing. I can't stand them.
-OC

October 24, 2006 7:08 AM  
Blogger rockofgalilee said...

those things are disgusting.

October 24, 2006 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Used to love 'em. Like Ring-Dings. I like the name too: krem (cream) - bo (inside).

October 31, 2006 3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home