Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Whole World

In America, we're raised to believe that the whole world revolves around America.

There is the US, and then there used to be those evil russian bastards but now there is just those pathetic russian bastards, there are French bastards, and then there is Europe, which is just some place where they like to burn shuls and kill jews.

And so now that I am living in Israel and working in an international company with offices around the world, there is a need for me to readjust my thinking. Because the telecom industry that I work in exists in all those places that are way beyond my radar. Like Australia. And Brazil. And India. And the previously mentioned places in the paragraph.

I just sat through a phone conference with people in England, France, and Israel, and I am finding that I have to adjust my view of the world to fit into my new global reality.

People who talk funny need to be listened to, because if I just think, wow, what a funny accent that guy has, I will miss what he is saying. And if I translate Telecom SA internally to mean San Antonio's phone system, I am not going to realize that they are talking about South Africa's largest phone system.

So it is an adjustment, one that I did not consider I would need to make when we flew east over the Atlantic.

3 Comments:

Blogger Veev said...

Just add it to the list, Dear. Just add it to the list.

October 11, 2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

I've lived here for a quite awhile and I still hate the French

October 11, 2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

It's just something you have to get used to. They do business with a lot of European countries that we find smarmy. It's part of that whole globilization thing, I guess.
-OC

October 12, 2006 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home