Sunday, October 15, 2006

L'Bracha V'Lo L'Klala

Shmini Atzeret never meant much to me. It was the Yizkor day, the un-fun day, the serious time before the party day. This year it was combined for the first time in my life - the ungood and the supergood (Thank you, George Orwell).

I have never davened for rain before either. This year I told my kids on the way home from Shul that this year Tefilat Geshem really is important to us. Those mountains we hiked through during Chol HaMoed? They need rivers running through them. The water in the shower? It has to come from somewhere. I reminded them that we are now living in a desert, and that every drop of rain is a Bracha from Hashem. And it starts now.

The very next day we woke up to find that rain had fallen. And it continued to fall in spurts for the rest of the day, as if it was reminding itself how it worked last year.

When we came downstairs in the morning, the floor directly under the air conditioner had a puddle on it. Air had left it on in the morning when he went to work, and I thought it might be leaking. The area rug was a little wet, so I lifed it up to dry over the couch and threw some towels down. We left shortly afterwards for Jerusalem, and I accidentally left the air conditioner on. When we came home at dinner time, the puddle was now a flood covering the entire living room area and half the dining room. I called the landlord and told them the air conditioner was faulty, and he told me I should never leave it on when I'm not in the house. Thanks.

He called back and suggested I check the hole where they dug to connect the air conditioner to the outside unit. It happened to be showering at that moment so, when I looked there, I could see a small rivulet of water running into our home from the wall. I told to Baal Habayit to make it stop ASAP, and he said he'd send someone in the morning. I did more "sponga" out the porch door, and attached a disposable bowl to wall to catch the water.

When Air came home, it took about two hours to clean up and to take all the stuff of the upstairs porch we've been storing there, too.

The funny thing is, I kept repeating over and over again, "Baruch Hashem. This is good for us. What a Bracha." Such a different perspective.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is really a waste of good bracha to rain anywhere other than crops or reservoirs.
Sorry to rain on your parade.

October 16, 2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

I disagree. Now we can finally stop watering our landlords trees.

October 16, 2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

Besides, we don't get to hand-pick the location.

October 16, 2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

and our gardens and lakes need it just as much

October 16, 2006 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home