Thursday, June 07, 2007

Bloody, Bloody Wednesday

Last night was our final game of the season in flag football, and we had a great time! I'll paint you a scenario, though, of an event that changed my life forever:

Two minutes left in the game against the defensewomen of the national team, and we were already black and blue. These girls know how to put the "contact" into "non-contact" sports. They aren''t allowed to use their hands to defend against us, but they have no qualms whatsoever using the rest of their bodies to slam into us any chance they get. Have I mentioned that these girls are about 17 years old and 9 feet tall?

I posted right (Eema, that means I run diagonally towards the lamppost on the right) and buttonhooked (that means I turn halfway around so I'm looking directly at my quarterback). And I made the catch for the first down, which is good because we were already at fourth down (sorry, Eem, ask Ab to explain the rest of this...) WITH MY FACE! And my hands. That's right, the torpedoed football landed right on the top of my nose! I caught the ball, dropped it (no fumbles in flag football), and dropped to my knees with stinging eyes and nose. Thankfully, our wide receiver is also an ER nurse at Shaarei Tzedek. Not only did she medically know what to do, she also knows how to calm someone down who is having her FIRST nosebleed. I do recall asking my team, through my tears, if they were enjoying their official time-out. With my first down we had a chance for the touchdown, and this was a much-needed break. The only thing I wanted to do was to keep playing, but it wasn't meant to be. The two minutes ran out before I could get back on the field.

Ah, there's always next season.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But did you tear your pantihose?

June 07, 2007 3:23 PM  
Blogger Rolling hills of green said...

Not broken I hope!!

June 07, 2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

I haven't worn pantyhose in a really long time. Plus no girly stuff is allowed on the field.

I have no idea if it's broken and I don't want to. There's nothing that can be done with it anyway. But I will say this: It still hurts like @#$%&%!

June 07, 2007 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just picture Tom Hanks screaming:

"There's no crying in football!!"

June 08, 2007 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your first nosebleed - wimp! :-)

June 08, 2007 11:59 AM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

good to hear your back in better

June 08, 2007 12:05 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

Wow, so much support from my dearest friends...

June 09, 2007 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home