Monday, October 29, 2007

Rechovot Police Station

Today Air and I went to the police station for traffic cases in our area, which is kinda like a county of Israel. They had sent us our third request to come and give our witness statements about our car accident. After the third one, it sank in to my brain, and I called the phone number written on the paper. Over and over and over. But there was no answer. Eventually they called US and told us to come this week, any day between the hours of 7:00 and 15:30. Air worked overnight last night and didn't need to go in today, so we went this morning. As we arrived at the station, EVERYONE went to lunch for half an hour. Everyone. In the whole department.

After much yelling at the secretary, to no avail, by the way, we were told to "calm down" and that they would be back "any minute". I told her I was tired of "calming down". I told her I was calm before I had to deal with Israeli bureaucracy, no customer service, and rude government employees who barely give us the time of day. I told her I was sick of arriving at a doctor's office and being told by the receptionist to "go right in" and have the doctor yell at me for going in to his office, and then at another doctor's office to wait and be yelled at when they find me sitting there not having "gone right in". I am tired of teaching my kids to hit back in school and to forget about their manners in line at the amusement park and candy store, or they won't get a turn. I told her that I am an Olah Chadasha, I was in a car accident, and demand to see someone - anyone - RIGHT NOW. She told us to have a seat.

While we waited for Israel's finest to masticate and digest, I had to rearrange my carpool day and find a playdate for the Princess.

Air and I had to give our statements separately because we were both witnesses, so I was not allowed to translate for Air. Our officer didn't speak any English, and spoke Hebrew too fast and incoherently to an untrained ear. I gave my statement first and then Air was interviewed by an officer who (shouting) spoke a little English. All in all, a yucky day.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many times have you seen me go into such places and give the secretary some almonds or cashews, and then they become my friends and help me? Don't you learn? Make friends with the people and they will help you and you won't have to yell! And, if all that doesn't help, then all I can say to you is welcome Is-ra-el!!!

October 29, 2007 7:46 PM  
Blogger mom said...

Do you have to bribe everyone in the country so that they'll be nice to you? What a great place to live!

October 30, 2007 1:31 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

The secretary was nice to us. She just couldn't do anything when all the police officers were at their lunch.

October 30, 2007 2:28 AM  
Blogger Baila said...

did anyone here ever hear of a staggered lunch time?

October 30, 2007 7:57 AM  
Blogger Just Shu said...

1 point for Yaakovs team

October 30, 2007 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no one told you to move there

October 31, 2007 3:11 AM  
Blogger Veev said...

Ummmm, I believe God did. I could be wrong, though.

October 31, 2007 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home