Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Yom HaZikaron

Tomorrow is Yom HaZikaron. Despite my yeshiva education, I have come to discover that this is essentially Memorial Day in Israel. Unlike memorial day here, which is defined by sales and BBQ, memorial day there is a day where they remember those who died serving Israel, as well as those who died in terror attacks.

There is quite a program at our shul, put on by the Kollel Torah Mitzion, that I will be unable to attend. I went last year and it was quite elaborate. This year they are going to be telling the story of Nachshon Wachsman. I don't remember the whole story, but I do recall he was kidnapped, and ended getting killed by Israeli fire during the rescue.

I hope one day the pain from the losses that we remember on Yom HaZikaron will fade, and the day will turn into one of BBQ, sales and parades.