Friday, June 10, 2005

Black Heat Remembered

It is times like this, as I prepare myself to grill on Yom Tov, that my thoughts turn to Black Heat. She was the lover I never had. Beautiful black rounded body, with a soul that burned charcoal and inflamed passion.

I got her as a father's day gift in 1998, and from then until 2002, she served us well. Her large grill was more than enough to entertain and feed as much company as we wanted, and her fiery coals burned 12 months a year.

Tragedy happened in the fall of 2001. Was it nature? Terror? Act of God? I will never know.

It was October 2001. We went away for lunch on the fine Succos afternoon. When we returned home, our Succah had collapsed, and there, buried beneath the rubble of our tarp and PVC-pipe succah, lay Black Heat.

She was badly wounded, and her once round shape was now ovalesque. Still, that Simchat Torah it was not without some joy that she performed her magic at the Simchat Torah BBQ.

My wife, who had long been jealous of Black Heat, started dropping hints that it was time to get rid of that "messy bitch in the backyard" and get a nice gas grill.

I resisted. You don't just get rid of a grill like that. Not after all she went through. Still, the following Summer we moved, and Mrs. Air Time put her foot down. Only one of them were moving to our house. I thought about it, and decided to kepp Mrs. Air Time. I knew I would miss Black Heat, but I would miss Mrs. Air Time more.

I found a nice family to take Black Heat in. They did not love her like I did, and soon after Black Heat found her way into the dumpster.

So as you are eating your Shavuot meal this year, take a moment to think of Black Heat. A grill who done good for herself.

6 Comments:

Blogger rockofgalilee said...

Brad Paisley didn't make the same decision you made.

Well I love her
But I love to fish
I spend all day out on this lake
And hell is all I catch
Today she met me at the door
Said I would have to choose
If I hit that fishin' hole today
She'd be packin' all her things
And she'd be gone by noon

Well I'm gonna miss her
When I get home
But right now I'm on this lakeshore
And I'm sittin' in the sun
I'm sure it'll hit me
When I walk through that door tonight
That I'm gonna miss her
Oh, lookie there, I've got a bite

Now there's a chance that if I hurry
I could beg her to stay
But that water's right
And the weather's perfect
No tellin' what I might catch today

Well I'm gonna miss her
When I get home
But right now I'm on this lakeshore
And I'm sittin' in the sun
I'm sure it'll hit me
When I walk through that door tonight
That I'm gonna miss her
Oh, lookie there, I've got a bite

Yeah, I'm gonna miss her
Oh, lookie there, I've got a bite

June 10, 2005 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand your connection with Black Heat and your wife's jealousy. I personally have a very close relationship with my new Powerbook 15", otherwise known as Gwyneth (I figure that if Gwyneth Paltrow can name her baby Apple, I can name my Apple computer Gwyneth.) My wife is very jealous of her - to the point where she won't talk to me when I'm paying too much attention to her. How do you explain to your wife that you can love two women at once????

Mark C.

June 10, 2005 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerbook, STOP

June 10, 2005 12:28 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Keglavithcher -

I urge you to be more respectful to Macs when you are on Air Time.

June 10, 2005 2:17 PM  
Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Those pipes just weren't the best idea. But, I'm sure Black Heat forgave you. I'm sure in grill heaven, she is looking down upon you, smiling, and hoping that you still remember the time you had with her whilst you use another grill. She knows she will never be replaced...
-OC

June 11, 2005 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »

April 26, 2007 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home