Monday, June 06, 2005

So I Dub Thee Unforgiven

There were two Mercaz spies in the fall of 1991. Boomer, who became the face of Mercaz, and was internationally known throughout the yeshiva world as the Mercaz spy. Interestingly, no one that year was caught by Boomer, or at least, if he caught people, he never turned them in. Not a single person was thrown out from Boomer's spying expeditions.

There was a second spy, though. Less well known, he was the man who has the only credited catch and kill from that year. His name, I believe, was Borlins.

Yochanon was one of the more colorful people in Yeshiva. A smoker from birth, he would tell us that on Seder night, when his family reached the Mah Nishtana, everyone around the table would light up a cigarette, and Maggid would begin.

It should be said that Yochanon hung out with a lot of girls. On Ben Yehudah. While drinking beer. (Hey, he's Canadian, it's part of his heritage.)

On this night, though, Yochanon wasn't on Ben Yehudah, or with girls, or doing anything wrong. His problem was geography.

The Chief outlined a perimeter surrounding Ben Yehudah. Anything within that perimeter was off limits. Zero tolerance was in effect.

Yochanon went to the arcade to hang out with Shmop. Borlins went to the arcade to catch Mercaz guys being a place where they shouldn't.

Borlins and Yochanon were actually somewhat close. They learned together, and spent quite some time talking over the two months that Yochanon was in Mercaz.

It didn't matter to Borlins. He agonized, lost some sleep. He claimed that he spent the entire night crying, but the next morning, he reported what he found. He was never forgiven.

The next morning, Yochanon was out, and on his way to Bais Yisroel.

18 Comments:

Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

so now not only does yochanun smoke,he was sent to bais to become an alcoholic?what was Rabbi Rotman thinking?

June 06, 2005 2:35 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

thinking? not part of his daily regiment

June 06, 2005 2:36 PM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

ouch! what years were you in merkaz hilfiger?

June 06, 2005 3:09 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

you seem very familiar with Mercaz Hilfiger/Sweater University. ever attend?

June 06, 2005 3:26 PM  
Blogger yaak said...

As a former Bais guy, I do remember that our Bais - Merkaz rivalry sometimes went over the top. A bunch of us Bais guys were on a bus late at night, and a few of the guys were acting VERY rowdy.

They then said loud enough for the whole bus to hear, "Boy, I can't wait till I get back to Merkaz!"

In hindsight, not very nice.

June 06, 2005 4:06 PM  
Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

no i was a tomo guy but 2 of my brothers went,one even came back to be the dorm counselor

June 06, 2005 5:14 PM  
Blogger stillruleall said...

I was a Beis guy, Midrash Merkaz Tomo and every other place blamed everything on Beis. We always said we were in Midrash

June 06, 2005 5:37 PM  
Blogger Veev said...

As I remember it, Yochanan did all he could to try and get kicked out of Bais, too! I don't think he ever managed it, though. And for that I am grateful...

June 06, 2005 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bodkins is a good guy, he felt bad for what he did, he even asked that guy Mechila, he said he was told to report what he saw and regretfully did. He even Argued to keep the kid in Mercaz. Today Bodkins is a successfull Mechanech

May 10, 2007 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can\t believe there are people who would say any thing negative about Rav Rottman the man is a Tzadik

May 11, 2007 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

people were told we are going to be at theses places and we will catch you. Bodkins purposely made himself obvious .What else could be done. You had to be stupid to get caught.

November 15, 2007 4:07 PM  
Blogger deenz said...

Wow, stumbled into your great blog. I remember the mercaz guys running away from Boomer like it was yesterday. You are mistaken about Boomer though. I was in sem that year & my friend L. was thisclose with "K", a Mercaz cutie who was caught by Boomer, turned in by Boomer, thrown out of mercaz and then let back in. K was also a great guy, even though he was a New Yawker. Boomer was and probably still is a rat.

July 01, 2008 8:53 PM  
Blogger Air Time said...

Hi Deenz -

I don't remember hearing that story, and can't think of anyone who would be named "K". Was it 91'-92?

Care to add any more details about your story, who you were, where you went?

July 02, 2008 4:33 AM  
Blogger deenz said...

It was 91/92 4sure. Did I ever meet you, yochanon? I don't know. My dad passed in late 90, I spent summer of 91 "healing process" in israel by my aunt, then machon gold after sukkot. BF Lisa met K. in falafel place in geulah, twice funny bec. #1 Lisa was anti black yeshivot (mercaz) #2 she met him by spilling her soda, klutz, on him (long story short).
K told funny mercaz stories and also claimed to be a victim of geography (arcade also? I don't remember, 15+ years ago! don't know whatever happened to him since 92) but it was Boomer who gave him up.
Maybe you did't know K, don't know how big mercaz was, but I give this hint, K was the only guy I ever called by last name only for the fun of it, if you can check mercaz roster, look for the wierdest interesting name, that was K. Me and my big mouth.

July 03, 2008 12:15 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I am not Yochanon, I'm Arye, and when i wrote this three years ago I inadvertantly mixed up my friend's name, which was actually Yonaton, although he never went by his first name.

Mercaz was small enough that I knew everyone there, but so much time has passed that I can't remember names.

July 03, 2008 2:09 AM  
Blogger Air Time said...

I have a guess, but I would rather not leave it here. can you email me directly at aryezacks at g mail dot com or send me a message on facebook.

July 03, 2008 7:49 AM  
Blogger Aviva said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 14, 2012 12:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 10, 2012 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home